Sunday, July 02, 2006

Rhapsodic

Woohoo! My 'Woodside Rhapsody' daylily bloomed this morning!

Woodside Rhapsody

We finally planted 'Rozanne' in her new place. And while we were at it, we extended the mulch by about a foot (30cm) onto the semi-grassless slope. Might as well, there's no grass there anyway.

Rozanne and New Mulch

We gave the new cranesbill some nice compost to grow into, since the soil where we planted it is like fine beach sand.

Rozanne

Our compost is in pretty good shape, but those biodegradable plastic bags are not decaying as quickly as I thought they would. (I will not tell you what kind of a surprise met me when I was digging out the compost today, but those of you who have ever changed a baby's diaper would find it awfully familiar.)

Compost

We got a new umbrella for our patio set and some new hanging baskets today. Here is a seldom seen (at least on this blog) view of our deck. The lattice in front of the steps is not ornamental; it is there to deter animals from using the area under the deck as a den.

Seldom Seen View

Being near the end of the garden centre season, the baskets I bought were a bit neglected, so I had to tidy them up and trim them back. I also potted up some coleus (about time, I guess). Here is a picture of my work space. I do not have a potting bench, but a deck box and a bucket of soil will do in a pinch, I find.

My Workspace

Basket Number One

Hanging Basket

Basket Number Two

East Fence with Hanging Basket

A third basket can be seen in the photo of my workspace. I always favour pelargonum geraniums for planters through July and August. They are colourful, constant bloomers, and they are nicely forgiving of forgetful waterers.

And finally I leave you with, of course, another gratuitous garden view.

Garden View with Camperdown Elm
Photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without attribution.

5 comments:

Naturegirl said...

Karen thank you for the tour of your garden and your well wishes for my mom.It is nice to see that you closed up
area under deck to deter animals. I am always suggesting this to neighbors and if they would only listen my cherry trees would NOT have been "robbed" by the racoon family!I love your budda ..I have been looking for her for a few seasons..perhaps I'll find the right one soon!

Anonymous said...

Looking at your garden photos was..as nice as going to a guided garden tour..
now I can imagine all the surrounding.. this is a detailed and beautiful garden.. I never manage pelargoniums in hanging baskets.. their roots become uncovered.. maybe too much wind?
but I love yours..
enjoy your garden

Robin said...

Just beautiful. I will have to remember that potted geranium are forgiving of forgetful waterers. That is always my problem with container plants, hence I keep very few.

Sigruns German Garden said...

Your garden looks so peacefull. And so wonderful daylillys. In the moment I have each day one with new flowers.

Sigrun

David (Snappy) said...

very idyllic looking garden.I love the hanging baskets.They can bring such cheer to a garden.