Sunday, July 23, 2006

A "New To Me" Bloom

The weekend is for shopping, so I picked up some new daylilies, among them, 'Frans Hals', which bloomed today.

Daylily 'Frans Hals'
Photo belongs to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without attribution.

Other purchases were 'Naomi Ruth' (a small plant I felt sorry for), 'Grand Masterpiece', and 'David Kirchoff'.

I am a bit worried that I might have finally exhausted the supply of "different" daylilies available to me within a 45 minute drive. Starting next year I may have to plan for longer excursions to buy daylilies, or resort to online purchases.

Unless I manage to say "enough is enough" and stop buying new daylilies altogether.

It could happen.

But I don't think the chances are good.

9 comments:

Proud Mum said...

I can't imagine you going a summer without buying daylilies. Maybe you should work up to it, like during Lent. ;-)

(I sure hope I guessed the appropriate time for lent, otherwise my joke will be naught. Lent is before daylily season, right?)

Sigruns German Garden said...

No, Karen, the Chance is not good. You buy daylilies, week after week. I know it. Online-shopping in good nurserys is very good!

Sigrun

Anonymous said...

Very great capture. Beautiful colors. Nice lightening. Perfect flower.

Philosophical Karen said...

Lent is the time leading up to Easter, so it's before daylily season. It's mostly before gardening season, come to think of it.

Diana LaMarre said...

beautiful color.
Karen, how long have you been collecting daylilies?

Philosophical Karen said...

Uh oh... do I have to answer that question? I bought Moonglow and Catherine Woodbury in 2003 and it's ballooned from there. But that was the year I gave up collecting Art Glass. So maybe I will stop and move on after I reach 100, just like I did with the glass. (I just did a count and I am at 60 different types of daylilies now.)

Alison said...

There is no way I would be able to find 60 different daylilies around here. I do head to the "farm" on Wednesday though....who knows what I will find. I would like to add many more in my gardens but room is a problem. Time to start clearing out I guess!

Sigruns German Garden said...

Hi Karen, I have an link for you:

http://elisabethsgartenwelt.blogspot.com/

Sigrun

Kerri said...

Karen, I thought of you yesterday while we were visiting the daylily farm near Cooperstown. You'd go crazy this place! I posted about it. I think you'll have to buy another block of land to support your 'habit' LOL!
Frans Hals is glorious and your photo is superb! I wish I could come see your gardens!
Thanks for the birthday wishes :)