Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Work in the Garden

The weather is finally giving us a break. Our area didn't get hit with the wicked storms that knocked out power, downed trees, and caused serious injuries.

We did get some strong winds, though. This morning the air was much cooler because of the cold front that passed through. I took advantage and did some planting today.

First I planted my 'Black-Eyed Susan' daylily. I had to move 'Woodside Rhapsody' over and put the new one in its place.

'Black-Eyed Susan' Daylily Planted

Then I redid my front flowers by the porch. (Although we haven't yet painted the rails, something that's on the to-do list for the summer because they really need it.)

Before



After



I have yet to figure out how to work with tall plants. I was wondering if anyone has any good advice from their own experience? I transplanted the small blue delphinium nearer the steps. I rearranged some rudbeckia. Then I planted a pink lily that was a gift from my mother, scabiosa 'Grand Stone', echinacea 'Vintage Wine', and hemerocallis 'Spider Miracle'. Those four, along with the existing butterfly bush are quite tall.

Delphinium, Rudbeckia, and Scabiosa

I don't own any proper plant stakes or supports, so I'm using leftover wood trim as a stake to tie the 'Vintage Wine' echinacea to. I do plan to fix that and make it look prettier; I just need to go shopping again. (Yay, shopping!)

White Swan and Vintage Wine (Two Echinacea)

Oh, and I guess this year is not the year for keeping track of how I pollinated the daylilies. I can do the bumblebee thing; I have just not been keeping up on the rest. I don't have reliable records of which anthers pollinated which pistils. Suffice it to say, pistils were pollinated and seedpods are developing. I can always reliably keep track of one parent (the one that produces the pod).

Scabiosa 'Grand Stone' Planted in My Garden

Scabiosa Closeup
All photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without attribution.

1 comment:

Alison said...

We plan to put a small post and rail fence down the center of our front garden next spring. It will give some interest in the winter etc, and will serve as a suport for the delphiniums in the spring. Most supports are not so appealing to look at but often a necessity.

I was able to get out this morning and did a good bit of pruning before it got too hot. Now it's time to sit back and enjoy...