Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Evening Photos

More action in the garden. Well “action” is a relative term, I guess. I have a lot of daylilies that are a little bit open. Usually that means they will be open tomorrow. I hope so.

One of those is ‘Sabine Baur’, which I mentioned is very similar to ‘Alaqua’. However, I can now report that ‘Sabine Baur’ has a much darker eye and picotee edging than ‘Alaqua’.

Sabine Baur with Buddha

Sabine Baur with Buddha

I did keep an eye on ‘Razzamatazz’ today, but it never did open fully. This is as far as it got.

Razzamatazz in the Evening

Still Not Fully Open

Barbara Mitchell has a lot of big, puffy buds getting ready to open. They all remind me of Audrey II from Little Shop of Horrors.

“Feed me, Seymour.”

‘Barbara Mitchell’ (not Audrey II)

Feed Me, Seymour

On a different note, in spring 2005 I took some seeds I had harvested in fall 2004 and grew them in a seed tray. Of fifteen planted, seven sprouted. Last fall I planted those seven seedlings in the yard and let them winter in the ground. Three returned. Of those three, so far two will have flowers this summer. I am expecting them to be yellow 'Moonglow' daylilies, since they actually were pollinated by insects in 2004 (when I hadn't yet started pollinating the flowers myself).

Second-year Daylily Seedling Will Bloom This Summer

Second-year Daylily Seedling
All photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without attribution.

3 comments:

Boxwood Cottage said...

Oh my all those daylily addicts I find lately lol They are all very beautiful Karen!

Alison said...

So not to seem stupider than usual, but how exactly do you pollinate the flowers yourself and in doing so what happens that does not occur naturally?

Philosophical Karen said...

Alison, if I pollinate the flowers myself, I pluck an anther from one flower and choose a different flower's stamen to dab the pollen on. That way, if I want to see the result of a cross between a red and yellow (say), or a small and a large daylily, I can choose which two flowers become "parents".

The first time I saw seedpods I had nothing to do with it. I assume a bee brushed an anther while it was climbing on the stamen and the flower was "self" fertilized. (I could be wrong, that's why I'm waiting to see what blooms from the seedlings.)