Thursday, July 06, 2006

Delphiniums (in Absentia) and Daylilies

There is lots of space left in the front garden, and now is the time to shop for plants.

Moonglow in the Morning

I couldn't find 'Butterfly Blue' dwarf delphiniums, but while I was shopping I bought some blue delphiniums anyway.

(I used to have delphiniums, but one spring just as they were coming up I thought they were weeds and I pulled them out. I didn't really notice until July when I suddenly realized there were no delphiniums. Then I remembered my overzealous spring weeding.)

I have also bought three new hemerocallis: 'Mariska' (a soft pink with fleshy flowers), 'Siloam Doodlebug' (lemon yellow flower with a dark purple eye), and 'Cassadiana' (looks like a hot pink, I hope it lives up to the tag description).

And of course I took some photos of today's blooms. It was a first bloom for 'Little Business' -- the first of many, I think, as this one is a prolific bloomer with flowers all summer long.

'Little Business' First Bloom

Soon the second-guessing will start. Is that really 'Edge of Darkness'? Could that be where I planted 'Always Afternoon'? Am I calling it by the wrong name? But really, no matter what it's called, this one is a mutant:

Mutant

Besides being blemished, there are four petals and four sepals. Too bad it's so ugly, because that's actually kind of cool.

Today's 'Woodside Rhapsody' was a little shy about opening, even in the bright afternoon sun:

Shy Woodside Rhapsody

Early this morning I thought that would be the fate of 'Russian Rhapsody' too:

Russian Rhapsody Early Morning July 6

But I got a pleasant surprise:

Russian Rhapsody Opened

To me, that is approaching perfection, at least for a hemerocallis.

By the way, I took other photos too. Not everyone shares my obsession with daylilies, I know.

Petite Purple Hosta Blooms (Barely Visible)
with Pink 'Dragon's Blood' Sedum


Petite Hosta Blooms

Sempervivum Planters (with New Buddha Head)

Sempervivum Planters

Echinacea 'Kim's Knee High' and Sedum 'Chocolate'

Echinacea and Sedum

Echinacea 'Double Decker' ('Doppelganger')

Echinacea 'Double Decker' (aka 'Doppelganger')
All photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without attribution.

I am not sure whether the "double" blooms on the echinacea will happen later in the season, or if I will have to wait until next year for them.

3 comments:

Robin said...

I did the exact same thing to my delphinium last year! Wouldn't you know it, but this year, it is growing anyway!!! It is a butterfly blue, but not a dwarf. Russian Rhapsody is definitely a winner.....that color is striking!

Dianne said...

All these photos are awesome, but I really like the planters because they are different.

Alison said...

It all looks so refreshing.....