Mini Might

A miniature double daylily. "Miniature" for daylilies means the blooms are less than 3 inches (7.5 cm) across. This photo doesn't show very well that it's a double, but there is an extra set of tiny petals in the centre of the flower. I actually had two blooms on this plant this morning.
Alaqua

I am a bit disappointed in this daylily. The colour is what the tag photo promised, but the shape of this flower is undefined. On the tag photo, it showed a flower with distinctly rounded petals, and that is the look I was hoping for. I will say, however, that this Alaqua has very nice picotee edging on the petals, so that is some compensation.
Catherine Woodbury

All photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without attribution.
My ever-reliable 'Catherine Woodbury' is one of the first daylilies I planted, along with 'Moonglow'. This one is also a constant bloomer, providing a show in the front garden throughout July.
6 comments:
Wow, what beauties! We have a daylilly Festival here in Virginia.
I am in agreement with you on Alaqua. Beautiful coloring and picotee edging, but dreadful shape. Do you have all of your daylilies planted together in a bed or have you sprinkled them throughout your beds? Do you have any pictures of ones you have crossbred?
No pictures, because it takes several years. Just two years ago I harvested some self-pollinated seeds from 'Moonglow' and planted the seeds last spring. One of those seedlings will flower this year, but it is a very small plant. I suspect it will be just yellow Moonglow, pollinated by bees or ants or whatever.
Last year I cross-bred daylilies at random and harvested lots of seeds. I sent half of them to a (blog) friend in New Mexico who is growing seedlings this year. Some of those will likely flower next year and I'm sure she will take pictures.
This year I am trying to keep track of both "parents", but I don't know how easy that will be once I pollinate several flowers on the same plant. I am also not great at growing seedlings (I am not really equipped for it). I think I prefer to share the seeds with other people who are better at that part.
Karen, my Catherina Woodbery looks not like yours!
Sigrun
Karen, in my next post I show you a photo from my Catherine. And you can also look at google!
Sigrun
Yes, I have looked at google. Catherine takes many forms, it seems. ;-)
I look forward to seeing the photo in your next post.
Post a Comment