Monday, July 10, 2006

Two New Daylilies

During a short break between rainstorms today, I managed to get out and take photos of the first blooms on two new daylilies. I've broken myself of the habit of shaking the flowers, so I ended up very lightheaded instead from trying to blow the rain off the flowers.

Cricket Dance

Cricket Dance

'Cricket Dance' is one I planted in late August last year. It was infested with thrips but I got it at a good price. It looks a lot like 'Woodside Rhapsody' in colour, but the petals are narrower and very tightly recurved, whereas 'Woodside Rhapsody' has wider, ruffled petals.


Lavender Rainbow, Today's Bloom

Lavender Rainbow July 10, 2006

'Lavender Rainbow' is usually a lighter colour and more delicate, as in this picture of a bloom from last year. (Some but not all of the colour difference is the result of using a different camera.)

Lavender Rainbow 2005

Daylily 'Lavender Rainbow' 2005

As you can see, today's bloom is missing the delicate lavender watermark that makes this such a beautiful flower when it looks the way it should.

And here, of course, is the usual gratuitous garden view.

Wide Garden View
All photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without attribution.

7 comments:

Diana LaMarre said...

The Lavender Rainbow looks a lot like the daylily I posted about today that was mislabeled.

Since I've been searching the net today trying to find out for sure what it was, I've seen a LOT that look very similar.

It's lovely.

Dianne said...

I totally love this look. Do you have soil in landscaper's cloth between the rocks? Do tell. : )

Philosophical Karen said...

When the landscapers put the rocks in, they worked with the natural slope in the yard. And yes, they did bring in a lot of soil. All the soil is supported by cloth behind the rocks. (Our neighbours have rocks that were put in by pool people, who didn't use cloth, and they have all kinds of problems as a result.)

Sigruns German Garden said...

The rainbow is my absolute favorite! Today I will blog new photos from my Hems.

Sigrun

Anonymous said...

Just beautiful pictures. I only found this site on the weekend, and I am totally hooked. You are whetting my appetite for more daylilies. I found the site when looking for pictures of the new daylilies I am putting in my garden journal.

Alison said...

Fabulous colours!

Kerri said...

I love the garden view. Wonderful rocks and all those beautiful plants! You keep it looking lovely!
What a contrast in colors between those 2 pictures! Amazing.