Saturday, July 22, 2006

A New Bloom

It's not at all exciting. Hardly newsworthy at all. But I did get one new bloom today. Take a look. It's 'Purple d'Oro'. (No 'Stella d'Oro' here, but yes I do have a 'Purple d'Oro'.)

This is 'Purple d'Oro'

Now take a look at this. It's 'Razzamatazz'. Look familiar?

These Are 'Razzamatazz'

At close range there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference, visually, between the two. However, when you step back a bit and take another look at 'Purple d'Oro' you realize that it has skinny little leaves and sits atop a single 4-inch (10 cm) scape that holds three buds and one bloom.

But Notice

'Razzamatazz' blooms almost non-stop with long scapes that have multiple buds atop each one.

'Razzamatazz' Multiple Blooms 07/14/06
Photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without attribution.

So if you are lucky enough to have a choice between the two, I certainly recommend 'Razzamatazz'. It seems to give more bang for the buck. (I am not sure why the colouring is off in that last photo. Looks like it was taken in evening light with the point'n'shoot camera.)

No comments: