Thursday, July 27, 2006

What Do You Think?

Last year in August we were making the rounds of the big nurseries, buying up anything that was left at amazing clear-out prices. Mr. Wonderful picked up a daylily I had ignored, and then he popped it on the cart.

"You don't have that one, right?"

"Well, no, but..."

"It's a good price. They don't have many left. You should get that one."

"Oh, all right."

How could I tell him that bright red is not a colour of daylily I want in the garden? He was so pleased about finding it for me. So I brought it home and planted it in my most "eclectic" bed, underneath the Deborah maple.

It bloomed for the first time today.

'Royal Mountie' First Bloom

'Royal Mountie' Daylily First Bloom

It actually doesn't look too bad in the garden, for a bright red daylily.

'Royal Mountie' in the Garden

Daylilies under Maple
Photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without attribution.

It's just not one I would have picked out for myself.

5 comments:

Sigruns German Garden said...

Karen, I think like you. Too red für your garden. It is the same red like my Red Rain, not a colour for me. But now - I have it and it can stay, at the other side of the house - in a pot!

Sigrun

Lis vom Lindenhof said...

Wow, this is a hot red Daylili, I like not this color, I like more dark red

Alison said...

I must asy that I think it is rather fun!!!

David (Snappy) said...

I guess you have to swallow your taste and let it grow.Its difficult when our husbands/wifes etc give us gifts that are not what we would buy ourselfs.I think its quite a cheery daylilly though...

Philosophical Karen said...

I wouldn't mind leaving it there because it doesn't look too bad. It is picking up the reddish tones of the heuchera. But I actually have an idea that I will start grouping some of my "hot" coloured daylilies together in a spot that is a bit removed from where all the pink and purple and pale yellows are.