Monday, July 17, 2006

Shopping

Well, yesterday was a banner day for new blooms. Today, not so much. Just one, 'Summer Wine'.

'Summer Wine' in My Garden

'Summer Wine' First Bloom

This weekend we went shopping at a total of three nurseries. It would have been more, but the only day we had available to visit the "gardening ghetto" was Sunday, and some of the best places are closed on Sunday.

On Saturday we made a quick trip to a nursery in the city. That is where we picked up the three daylilies (including 'Black-Eyed Susan') that I have already talked about.

What I didn't show you was some of the photos taken at that place. My son saw me at the daylily table taking photos of 'Night Beacon' and 'King Royale' for reference.

'Night Beacon' on Display at the Nursery

On Display 'Night Beacon'

'King Royale' on Display at the Nursery

On Display 'King Royale'

So he asked if he could use the camera to take photos of the demonstration ponds they have set up at the nursery. I said yes, of course, because he is a good boy and I want to encourage him. Here is a picture of the one I like best.

Demonstration Pond (Waterfall) at the Nursery

Demo

On this one the water sinks into the rocks on the right and disappears. There is no real "pond" as such, just the running water. I think something like this would fit well in our garden. Those rocks are just the thing. (I would choose different plants, though.)

So that was Saturday. On Sunday we went to two other places. The first place didn't have very many daylilies, and none that were very interesting. So, I did what any self-respecting gardener would do. I bought some different plants there.

Scabiosa 'Grand Stone' Purchased Yesterday

Scabiosa 'Grand Stone'

Echinacea 'Vintage Wine' Purchased Yesterday

Echinacea 'Vintage Wine'

Both are very tall, tough-looking plants. I say that because I am comparing 'Grand Stone' to my other scabiosa, which seems almost delicate in comparison. And this echinacea, with its large cone and small petals, gives quite a different impression from its small coned, long-petalled cousins.

At the other place we went to, I got three new daylilies (but only have photos of two): 'Nile Crane', 'Spider Miracle', and 'Luxury Lace'.

'Spider Miracle' Purchased Yesterday

'Spider Miracle' Just Opening

'Luxury Lace' Purchased Yesterday

'Luxury Lace'

'Luxury Lace' is actually similar to the version of 'Catherine Woodbury' that I have a lot of in my front garden, though 'Luxury Lace' has a deeper colour, and is more peach than pink.

'Catherine Woodbury' in My Front Garden

'Catherine Woodbury' 07/17/06

And finally, lest you think yesterday was just a lazy shopping day, I did some work in the garden in the evening when it got a bit cooler. The stachys was driving me crazy, so I cut it back. I still left some flowers for the bees, though. (Actually, even though it was evening the bees were still busy, so I did that out of self-preservation.)

Cut Back Stachys
All photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without attribution.

2 comments:

Sigruns German Garden said...

What a good day you have had. I have no place to buy some Hems, and my husband will kill me if I do!

Sigrun

Anonymous said...

I am wiping the drool off my computer keyboard...what wonderful new plants, I want 'em all! So I am not the only one still shopping for plants. Love your choices! Looks great.