* Now I have corrected the spelling.
Colours in the Garden
Reds and golds were not my thing until I saw this daylily blooming in a pot in my garden. I don't understand how this daylily could captivate me as much as it does, when those are not my colours at all.
'Frans Hals' in Surprisingly Beautiful Red and Gold

These are my colours, soft pink and pale yellow. My unsolved mystery daylily bloomed for the first time in 2006 today.
Unsolved Mystery Daylily, First Bloom

I don't know what causes 'Cricket Dance' to bleed the colour out of its flowers, but in certain conditions they all come out like this, instead of rich purple. I noticed this flower shows some pinching on the petals, so I took a photo.
'Cricket Dance' with Pinched Petals, Strangely Bleached of Colour

Several Photos of Daylilies In Situ
A picture of the front garden from earlier today when it was sunny.
Front Garden

Another mystery daylily which was supposed to be 'Forty-Second Street' but clearly isn't (since 'Forty-Second Street' is a cream and apricot double flower).
Lots of Pink Blooms

A pair of 'Lavender Rainbow' daylilies under the Deborah Maple.
'Lavender Rainbow' Duo

I took this next one of 'Siloam Doodlebug' with an eye on the dark clouds above. Shortly after snapping the photo huge raindrops started falling. As you can see, the wind was rather strong.
Everyone Knows It's Windy

I counted eleven blooms on 'Siloam Merle Kent' today. It's easy to miss the ones hiding behind the two blooms at the top left.
Eleven

All photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without attribution.
Deadheading Daylilies
You may have noticed that there are a lot of spent blooms remaining on my plants. It's not laziness that has me leaving them there. Last year I wrote a post about deadheading daylilies.
For me, there is no such thing as unwanted seedpods. Tugging at a spent bloom (or heaven forbid, snipping it) will remove the nascent seedpod along with the remains of the flower. There is nothing more satisfying (to me) than removing a dried up spent bloom that is wrapped around a healthy, swelling seedpod.
Is this one of those things that only fellow gardeners can understand, like the innate satisfaction of digging into a beautiful batch of homemade compost?
I leave it with you.
9 comments:
So far only the Stella D'Oros in my garden have any seed pods. I am most frustrated! I can't wait until my plants are big enough that they produce more than one blooming flower at a time!
Karen, although I haven't grown Catherine Woodbury for a few years, your mystery daylily somehow reminds me of that old favorite. Maybe it's a relative? Whatever the name, it's very lovely!
Annie, I have been leaning in that direction myself, especially since the ones I planted as 'Catherine Woodbury' look so much like 'Luxury Lace' to me, now that I have seen that one.
Karen I am not particularly fond of day
lilies however your photos are stunning..HOT color the first photo! I enjoyed reading "deadheading" info though..and your Flicker badge..I want that too!! :) Thanks for visiting my garden!
LOL what a nice "Sammelsurium" of daylilies Karen!
Oh, Karen, you use my word! A nice Sammelsurium, I have a lot of Sammelsuriums also in the house!
Sigrun
Sigrun, I like that word. My photography blog friend Julia also uses this word. It is the name of her blog.
Julia lives in an apartment, but she grows beautiful flowers in pots on her balcony. She takes wonderful photos of flowers and birds and insects, as well as some of the places she visits.
Karen, I went to the daylily garden yesturday and it was incredible. They have over 300 varieties for sale and many hundreds more in the gardens. You can get an idea of what they have by checking out their website at www3.ns.sympatico.ca/wayne.wayne
I bought four...Condilla, Siloam Royal Prince, Chorus Line, and Mardi Gras Parade. They gave Karen and I each a Pennys Worth for free and I think we are both going to put those in pots as they are soooo tiny.
Alison, I checked out the web site and those people are living my dream! Of course, my next best dream would be to actually visit a daylily farm myself. So you're one up on me as well. ;-)
Post a Comment