Friday, July 21, 2006

What Is Your Favourite Daylily?

In searching the web for images of ‘Light Years Away’, I came across a discussion on a message board: “What is Your Favourite Daylily?” Someone had named ‘Light Years Away’ as their favourite, and had posted a picture.


Today’s ‘Light Years Away’ in My Garden
(Somebody’s Favourite, Not Mine)


'Light Years Away' Daylily


Before reading that discussion, I thought I was quite the daylily afficionado. Then I found out that I have nothing, nothing on these people. I discovered a level of daylily snobbery that I can never hope to achieve. (And maybe that’s a good thing, you know?)

I learned that ploidy is important to these people.

I wouldn’t know a Tet from a Dip if it jumped up and bit me, but to a true daylily snob, the statement, “Oh, well, I don’t plant anything but Tets in my garden” actually has meaning and an air of distinction about it.

Can you hear me laughing?

***

I am thinking how to answer that question “What is Your Favourite Daylily?”

One of my true favourites has not bloomed yet this year. It's quite plain and simple, and it always makes my heart smile.

Unknown Daylily, 2005

Unsolved Mystery 2005


Another of my favourites, in that it truly gives me joy to behold, is ‘Lavender Rainbow’.

Lavender Rainbow

Lavender Rainbow 07/17/06


Another one that I find myself drawn to lately is ‘Wayside King Royale’, because mine has developed a white edge on the flower, like piping on a velvet cushion.

Wayside King Royale

'Wayside King Royale' 07/21/06
All photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without attribution.

(In fact, within minutes of posting this photo on Flickr it already had comments and was marked as a favorite. So there is something about this one, isn't there?)

Well, I guess that is only the beginning. I could go on and on, but I will save some things for another post.

6 comments:

Diana LaMarre said...

Oh, daarling, I especially adore my Manly Melvin triploid. It is just soooo unfortunate that I cannot use him as a parent due to his sterility caused by the process of meiosis. Don’t you agree?

LOL.

I do love that 'Light Years Away' and 'Lavender Rainbow' ... gosh, I just love so many of them. My favorite might just be whatever is currently in bloom.

MariaJ said...

I just cant believe how much you have different ones...I REALLY didnt know there can be all these colours. Im so happy you share this with us.

Alison said...

Being a recent daylily convert all I can offer is that they are all so appealing.

Philosophical Karen said...

Maria, there are several thousand different ones (I only have about 50 or so). I know it's a lot, but it's not really a lot.

kate said...

I have a different favorite every year...and i thought i had alot but evidently i have very few, comparitively...i have been really enjoying seeing yours!

lisa said...

One of my favorites is the triple orange...see post on my blog... : )