Sunday, July 09, 2006

A Post Not About Daylilies (Well, Not Too Much Anyway)

This is my cool new garden sink, with the accoutrements hidden (and way too much hose for that small hose reel):

Garden Sink Closed

And with the accoutrements on view:

Garden Sink Open

We got it at Home Depot. Mr. Wonderful and The Boy installed it this afternoon.

The Trumpet Vine on the arbour bench is blooming.

The Trumpet Vine is Blooming

Of course, you might like to see a closer picture, taken yesterday when the sky was blue.

Trumpet Flowers

Have I ever told you that this is my favourite border?

My Favourite Border

Here is a closeup of some hosta, heuchera, and hemerocallis. (Oh, and some pansies and honeysuckle thrown in to keep things interesting.)

Hosta, Heuchera, and Hemerocallis

And this is still a pretty view, even though not much is happening right now.

Still a Pretty View

Except that the Pincushion Flower (Scabiosa) is blooming.

Pretty Pincushion Flower

And finally (except for the boring stuff you don't need to read anyway), here is a straight-on view of my sempervivum planters, including the new Buddha head ornament that has replaced the fairy girl for the time being.

Sempervivum Planters
All photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without attribution.


Journal Stuff

Since I am also using this blog as a journal to keep records of what I do in the garden, I want to make sure I have the following information in the fall.

Yesterday I used 'Little Business' to pollinate 'Alaqua'. 'Russian Rhapsody' pollinated both 'Mini Might' flowers, and 'Country Melody'. 'Country Melody' in turn pollinated all three pink-with-purple-eye-and-yellow-throat flowers in the front garden, as well as 'Catherine Woodbury'.

Today, I used 'Destined to See' to pollinate 'Elegant Candy' and vice versa. On the front I again used 'Country Melody' to pollinate both pink-with-purple-eye-and-yellow-throat flowers. I then used 'Always Afternoon' to pollinate 'Country Melody' and both 'Catherine Woodbury' flowers.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen, I would love a description of how that sink works. Where does the water go after you use it>

Philosophical Karen said...

The picture I took was before the "finished" stage in the assembly process. You need to attach another length of hose through which the "grey water" drains. Otherwise, it just falls to the ground at the left side of the sink.

Alison said...

That has to be one of the neatest things I have ever seen! The gardens of course are stunning.

Robin said...

Ah yes, trumpet vine. It is pretty but also a thug and therefore not one of my favorite plants. We had a trumpet vine growing the length of driveway fence that I am nearly done killing off to make room for plants that I want. Yours does look pretty growing on the arbor.

Unknown said...

Wonderful gardens--I adore the buddha head in the sempervivum pots. How fun!

TraceyF said...

Ohhh I love the colour of that pincushion flower, I could only find the pink version I have, but that lavender colour is magnifique!