Friday, June 30, 2006

The Fruits of Garden Maintenance

My 'Woodside Rhapsody' daylily did not bloom yesterday. Nor today either. The plant still looks exactly like the photo I took of it two days ago.

Today was a good day for gardening (except for the rain around lunchtime) and I got a lot of maintenance done. Trimming and pruning, mostly, especially in the somewhat neglected northeast corner of the garden. I gave the arctic willows a much needed trim, the second trim for the one by the maple. By the time I gave the one by the fence its first trim of the season, I had halved its size.

Sweet Kate Flower

Things are more neat and tidy now. And I found out that my 'Sweet Kate' spiderwort hidden under the elm is blooming. I had written it off, since the last time I checked all buds were brown and dried up, probably hit by cold or drought at just the wrong time. But luckily, Sweet Kate is a constant bloomer, so it has recovered from that setback.

I took a few photos of heuchera today, such as 'Snow Angel'. This time I took the foliage. I've read that the foliage is not always guaranteed to be variegated. I got lucky, I guess.

Snow Angel Foliage

By the way, here is that 'Palace Purple' that has a little flower scape on it.

Palace Purple Heuchera

Just so you can see the flowers for 'Gypsy Dancer', I took a photo.

Pretty 'Gypsy Dancer'

And finally, an edible garden fruit is always exciting (to eat, certainly, if not to look at). Here is one of our mulberry trees, with plenty of fruit for us.

Mulberry Tree
All photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without attribution.

8 comments:

Robin said...

The variegated 'Snow Angel' is just lovely! What color are the flowers? I have a 'Palace Purple' and a 'Plum Pudding' because the foliage is what does it for me more than the flowers on these pretty little plants.

Alison said...

Looking good....glad to see some pics. I have been missing the view.

Philosophical Karen said...

Robin, I am the same as you, liking the foliage more than the flowers. Snow Angel has lovely bright pink flowers, one of the few heuchera I have with flowers worth looking at. You can see a picture in my post for June 8.

MariaJ said...

Your snow angel looks interesting, I havent seen it before. I have also heucherellas: Palace Purple which is the oldest and biggest and then just few babies which I bought this summer:Heuchera creme brule,Heuchera Licorice and Key Lime Pie. Do you have any of these? I love the colour of their leaves! I can take a picture of them someday if you dont know them.

Philosophical Karen said...

Maria, I have a 'Dolce Creme Brule'. I don't know 'Licorice' (haven't seen it yet here). I will be on the lookout for 'Key Lime Pie'. I bought a 'Lime Rickey' once, but it didn't survive. Heucherellas don't do as well in my garden as heucheras, so I avoid them now.

Sigruns German Garden said...

Karen, thanks for you photos. The Palace purple I have too. Now I saw in a big pot with an buxus, that I have a lot of seedlings of the Heuchera. Wonderful.

Sigrun

David (Snappy) said...

lovely pics Karen.What do you do with mulberries?It is a nursery rhyme here...going around the mulberry bush.I want some Heuchera's now after seeing all yours!!

Philosophical Karen said...

I make sure to pick only the dark purple ones (or else they are too sour) and I mix them up with other berries and bake a "bumbleberry crumble". I have to purchase the other berries, but at least I know some of them are from my garden.

Haha, we go around the mulberry bush, too, early in the morning, or so I've heard. ;-)