Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Shopping

It was a humid day today, but we survived.

I had a closer look at my 'Palace Purple' heuchera, the one I mentioned in the last post that looked like it was wilting from the heat. I found out that an animal must have been digging at it, because the part of the plant that was looking wilted was actually not attached to any roots. There is a tiny bit of the plant still left in the ground. Maybe that will recover.

Gratuitous Garden View

View from Patio Bench

We made some purchases for the garden today. It was hard to shop outdoors in the humidity, but I made a great find. A patio planter that would cost twice what I paid if I bought it at a nursery. Instead I bought it at the Canadian Tire garden centre, where the end of season sell-off has begun.

New Patio Planter

New Patio Pot

While there I found some trellises, but needed a second opinion, so I asked Mr. Wonderful to pick them up on the way home from work (and, wonderful as he is, he did).

New Trellises

New Trellises

The garden centre also had some large pots of 'Rozanne' hardy geranium. And they were in bloom! Ever since my 'Johnson's Blue' finished blooming, I've been missing it. And I've been meaning to put in more hardy geraniums, since they are so nice through the spring. Anyway, this plant was tailor-made for me.

New Plant: Hardy Geranium 'Rozanne'

New Hardy Geranium Plant ('Rozanne')

I don't know where I'm going to put it. I have a couple of ideas.

So, while we're on the topic of hardy geranium, I thought I would take the opportunity to compare 'Rozanne' with 'Johnson's Blue' photographically.

Rozanne

Rozanne

Johnson's Blue

Johnson's Blue Hardy Geranium

I know I am biased. I like Johnson's Blue better.

And finally, after setting up the sprinkler yesterday evening for an hour because we'd had no rain all day, there was rain overnight (hence the humid weather while I was at the garden centre). The ground soaked it all up happily, though, with no ill effects other than some flattened stachys.

Rain-flattened Stachys

Stachys After Rain
All photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without attribution.

9 comments:

Alison said...

If I could ship you all of our water I would. We are swimming here, and it is soooo very humid.

Philosophical Karen said...

No, we're fine here, thanks. Down in the desert they might appreciate it though. ;-)

Sigruns German Garden said...

I think you will find a good place for you new geranium??

Sigrun

Unknown said...

I'm biased toward blue myself, but I also like the Johnson's Blue better. Your gardens are lovely--the first photo looks like a tapestry of texture!

Robin said...

My 'palace purple' has beautiful foliage but has failed to produce any flowers. :( The container find was lovely and the new hardy geranium is too!

MariaJ said...

I always cut those Stachies bloomings away, I think the leaves will have more power without blooming...who knows. I agree you with Johnsons Blue. (I bought three of them a month ago) If you looked Sigruns blog a month ago there were some Geranium flowers and I think Johnsons was the most beautiful.
Your new trellises were very nice. I wish to find something like that but I'm sure I cant find them here. Hmmm I like iron as a material very much.

Philosophical Karen said...

Maria, I have a clump by the front door that I trim down to just leaves. The flowers attract bees and it's better for us not to have bees by the front door.

Philosophical Karen said...

Robin, I checked my (other) 'Palace Purple' this evening and it is much, much later than many heuchera in producing flowers. It has one tiny flower scape. Perhaps yours is just slow, too?

Anonymous said...

I have both Johnson Blue & Rozanne--Rozanne I added last summer and it bloomed its head off until hard frost got it in late fall. It had a slow start this spring & I wondered if it would return. It has and I do like the rich flower color it produces but I prefer Johnson's Blues' foliage. Love your 'gratuitous garden view'!