
Two years ago it looked lush and green, like this:

Or this (look how small the willow was only two years ago):

Oh, and while I was searching the 2004 archives, I found a picture of my IKEA shelf with its original decor:
All photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be borrowed without attribution.As I mentioned before, one of those lovely craft store birdhouses ended up getting a wasps' nest inside it. Also, I had forgotten about my “great idea” of planting flowers in soup cans. (They rust pretty quickly, by the way.)
13 comments:
Dollarama has some fabulous tin pots. I nabbed a few myself just the other day. I now need to get planting them.
We have a grass issue in front of the shed too. Ours grows weeds well and I keep them for the same reason. I have also discovered that you can buy a green mesh under which you plant grass. It grows up through the mesh and when you mow, it cuts to the level of the mesh. The mesh is hidden and it keeps the kids feet from wearing it all away. The neighbors just got some. I must try it. Less mud is my goal!
I like seeing the history of your "hopeless, semi-grassless slope"--I have the same kind of slopes & flat spots too. It is hard to find something indestructable (other than straight mulch) to run a wheelbarrow over & to take wear & tear coming & going from the shed. Such a lovely little garden corner you have here. I like your soup can idea!
Thanks for dropping by and sharing the day with me. I do appreciate a lot your comment.
Email me your mailing address so I can send a postcard from my country. Rest assured your info shall be kept confidential.
Oh Karen, I have also Ideas to plant in spezial pots, but where to place the pots after Planting??
Sigrun
In this case it's not shade that's the problem but full sun. The sod that was planted is not a drought-tolerant variety.
On a south-facing slope, the grass is subjected to constant sun, and what water the slope does get flows to the bottom. That's why any grass I do have there is near the base of the slope.
I do not give my grass extra water -- the watering bans in our community are so restrictive I'm afraid to bring out the hose for fear I've got the wrong day, or wrong time of day, for watering. (There's a reason we have all those rainbarrels.)
Despite the troublesome fussy area, your garden overall sure looks lovely. I love the shed colour.
have you tried Turf Builder?
Karen I love the shed wish we could put one in our space but the lot is not deep enough.Do you use it as a potting shed? Perhaps we can see if you do.Love the corner ladder with galvanized pots and SOUP CANS how creative!!!
I was thinking about your grass ...could the willow roots be causing the grass problem?
It looks like Nice Neighbour likes your taste in sheds!
Actually, both my neighbours have this type of shed. ;-)
This neighbour got us a deal on the sheds because the people only had to make one trip to install both sheds.
Melissa, I never thought of the willow roots. It's certainly a possibility -- although I do think that the quality (i.e., type of grass) of the original sod is a big part of the problem.
Naturegirl, I don't use it as a potting shed (we have too much junk to store) but I do know that with custom-built sheds there are many possibilities -- including smaller sizes, and dedicated potting sheds. I'm sure you could find one that suits your needs.
I would dearly love to have an edible garden but I only get 4 hours of sun, at best. It is a south facing downtown Toronto small garden, but surrounded by fences, garages, trees etc.
Would the mulberry grow ? Any other suggestions ?
Post a Comment