Saturday, June 24, 2006

They Bloomed While I Was Away

As I predicted, my 'Moonglow' daylilies bloomed while I was away. Possibly yesterday or the day before, as there is one dried-out spent bloom on the plant.

'Moonglow'

Other plants that bloomed while I was away included a different Lewisia Cotyledon (bitterroot) that I planted a bit later in the season than my first one.

A Different 'Lewisia Cotyledon'

And finally, my "strange plant" that I don't know what it is or where I got it. The leaves are like rhubarb leaves, only brittle and covered with silvery fuzz. The flowers grow on long stalks and bloom about the same time as stachys (lamb's ear).

Blooms of Unknown Plant

The little flowers are so pretty, but the entire effect of the plant is difficult to find pleasing. The stalks are multi-branched and cannot really support themselves once they reach a certain height.

More Blooms of Strange Plant

Below is a picture from a week and a half ago, before it really took off. (This photo was actually meant to show the leaves, though apparently some people missed it.) My "strange plant" is sandwiched between two hostas.

I am now wondering if this plant might be a form of Clary Sage (Salvia sclarea).

What Plant Is This
All photographs belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without attribution.

Obviously, I need to rethink this space now that the mature plants are crowding each other, but when they were first planted, it all seemed fine. (That is the story of most of my garden, it seems.)

7 comments:

Alison said...

My front bed is very crowded...I'll be dividing much this fall and next spring. Can't help with the mystery plants...I have a few of those myself. Perhaps you will know what mine are.
Glad to have you back posting again. It's fun to see how your garden is coming along.

OldRoses said...

Your unknown plant looks like a mullein. If so, rip it out immediately. They producse a zillion seeds and you'll never get rid of them. Are the leaves soft and furry? Is it a biennial (started last year, bloom this year)? Did it start as a rosette of leaves? These are all clues pointing toward mullein. I made the mistake of letting one flower knowing nothing about it. That was 5 years ago. I still have volunteers coming up because the seeds are very tough and can persist for years in the soil.

Philosophical Karen said...

Old Roses, I checked out mullein on the web and this plant that I have is different from what I've seen. My plant has much broader leaves, and the flower stalks that grow are multi-branched, rather than a single rod.

Most of the mullein I have seen has yellow flowers, and these are white with purple. However, from what you have said I will cut off the flower stalks now before they go to seed, just in case.

TraceyF said...

I hear ya on the crowding and moving.. I have a few things that are slated for the move this fall. I really did not measure right I guess.

Annie in Austin said...

Karen, this is just a guess, because you're not showing the leaves, but I think you have some form of Acanthus, sometimes called Greek Pattern Plant. The leaves are the ones pictured on the columns of some Greek temples.

Annie

Anonymous said...

Isn't it hard to go away when plants are ready to bloom & you know they aren't going to last? Such a quandry--go or stay? I do love the mystery plant flower--it looks familar to me, & yes, similar to mullein...I have a sage plant that is similar. As for crowding--I plant close together anyway so I am forever moving plants around. Love your birdbath!

Philosophical Karen said...

I am wondering... I think it might be a form of Clary Sage. I remember the plant came with a label that said "salvia" -- but it was unlike any salvia I was familiar with, so I thought it was mislabelled. But Clary Sage (which this plant resembles) has the botanical name 'Salvia sclarea'.