Today while we were there my husband suggested that we buy a rare blue poppy. He doesn't normally take a lot of interest in the garden beyond trees, mulch, and birdfeed. Most of the gardening decisions are up to me.
So I said, "Yeah, sure, let's get the blue poppy." I didn't read the tag until I got home. Oh well. It requires full shade, which is fine, and woodland soil kept constantly moist, which with a bit of work we can do, but there are also all sorts of words about how fussy it is. Sigh. Me and fussy don't mix.
Anyway, he was off exploring among the rarities because I was spending most of my time around the Sempervivum table.

I believe I mentioned once that they have a large selection available at Canning.
Here are a couple of pictures of the sempervivum garden that the owners allow public access to during store hours. The gardens on their property are very beautiful, but it was raining so I didn't spend much time out there -- especially after hearing thunder.

You can't tell from this photo, but it reminds me of a museum exhibit because each variety has its own sign identifying it.
Here is a closer look. (You still can't see the signs, though.)

The sempervivum bed has hens and chicks, stonecrop, cactus, and rocks. The whole bed is "mulched" with peastone gravel.
For those of you who are looking for something a little more conventional, here are some other views of the garden. The yellow foliage with purple flowers is 'Sweet Kate' spiderwort. It's one of my favourites, which you might be able to tell from the number of pictures I took of it. (Personally I would never plant anything yellow like those iris so nearby. I think it would look better with dark purple iris instead.)



All photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be borrowed without attribution.
8 comments:
I would agree with you on the colour choice f the iris. They should hire you. You might even get a staff discount. Think how far you could stretch a paycheque.....
"Will work for plants." I can see it now. It's actually a small family-run operation -- but hey, it's fun to dream. ;-)
When I first read this I thought ... hmmm, without "to" in the title you'd have a much different photo essay.
I'm such a dork. GOSH!
I always wondered about the name "Canning Perennials". It's called that because it's located in the little village of Canning. (Don't blink or you'll miss it.)
Its good to see a family run business who love what they do.The sepervivums look lovely.I will withhold judgement on the spider wort though.Good post!
I sooo wish you well with the blue poppy. I googled it. what a gorgeous flower.
I have never seen this kind of spiderwort before. It IS lovely. (And that is quite a compliment as spiderwort and I have a fight every year about where it will and will not be in my garden!)
Regarding the blue poppy, you are adventurous!! They are absolutely stunningly beautiful but I haven't dared trying one yet!
What a pretty place. You're lucky to have a nursery close by that has a good selection of perennials.
You gave us a nice tour. Thanks!
Post a Comment