Thursday, July 13, 2006

Composting Revisited

This is a follow-up to an earlier post on backyard composting.

The Bio-Solo bags don't work as promised.

They don't decay in an ordinary backyard composter. All they do is alter the all-important wet-dry balance so that the bag is full of wet waste. Let me tell you about wet waste that decomposes without benefit of dry ingredients. It turns into the contents of baby diapers.

I fixed my compost this afternoon by emptying bags and bags of slimy wet waste and promptly covering it up with dry leaves. Can you say "Ew"?

Don't use the bags, people, or you'll be sorry.

I know I am.

2 comments:

Kathi said...

Thanks for the heads up on these. They sure look good on their website. I know I won't try them now.

Philosophical Karen said...

What I found out much later from my brother-in-law, the environmental scientist, is that these "plastic" type bags are meant to be photo-degradable (they need to be exposed to light to break down) not bio-degradable.