Thursday, May 04, 2006

A New Look for the Front

I've planted my first container:

Plastic Urn Planted


This is what it looks like from above:

Looking Down at Container


Contents are: Golden Creeping Jenny, two Columbine, Dwarf Pincushion Flower, Saxifrage, Periwinkle, and three different ipomoea (black, bronze, and chartreuse, all with heart-shaped leaves). I have a habit of calling this stuff "imopoea" for some reason.

Also adding to the new look for the front is all the tulips getting ready to bloom:

'Shirley' Tulip


Clump of Purple Tulips


Tulips 'Shirley' and White


Purple Tulip with White Edge


And finally, the magnolia is losing its blooms and starting to get little leaves.

Magnolia Blossom

6 comments:

Philosophical Karen said...

I've had them sitting outside waiting to be planted for a few days, and they don't seem to mind. There is nothing drastic in the weather forecast, so I think they should be okay.

TraceyF said...

Ugh on the spring spring sickness, I hope they recover OK. Beautiful magnolias, I can't wait to get our backyard set up that is my first planting. I adore the container, I cheated last year and followed the proven winners container planting plans.. it worked out soo great I will be cheating again! I am jealous on your tulips and Iris, neither of mine worked out.

Philosophical Karen said...

I "cheated" for a few years too. In fact, I will probably cheat again with some of the containers this year. My cheating is to buy cheap hanging baskets from Wal-Mart and transfer them to containers for the patio or front of the house.

Sometimes, though, the artist in me just wants to make my own combinations...

roybe said...

A nice mix of flowers and foliage Karen.

Alison said...

Beautiful as always!

Anonymous said...

Love that container combination! Your tulips are to die for. Great photos. I do enjoy spring and seeing the fresh new leaves, most look healthy at this time. I will read about 'spring sickness'--a few of my daylilies may be joining yours in the sick room...