Sunday, May 14, 2006

Mom's Garden

What better post for Mother's Day than pictures of my mom's garden? Many people who garden will say they got their love of gardening from their mom. But in my case, it might actually be the other way around, since my mom has only lately discovered gardening as a leisure activity.

But regardless of which one of us influenced the other, the gardening gene is from my mom's side, as my uncle owns a landscaping business in Britain, and I still remember eating brussels sprouts from my grandad's garden when we visited there in my childhood.

Entrance


This Japanese Maple is my mom's pride and joy right now:

Japanese Maple


They've had some work done in the back, too.

Mom's Back Patio


This natural flagstone patio at the base of the deck is just waiting for all the steppables to fill in the open spaces between the stones. (Mom has planted little cuttings of woolly thyme and elfin thyme, and not all of them survived, although most of them are doing very well.) I think the metal furniture they picked out is perfect for this setting.

And finally, since mom and I were shopping together that day, I should note that she picked up the "sister" to my little fairy girl.

Fairy Girl
Photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be borrowed without attribution.

5 comments:

FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

What a lovely garden.
Thanks for dropping by.

Anonymous said...

Your mother's garden is beautiful. I like the little twist in the fact you influenced your mom to garden. What a nice connection to have together. I like the fairy girls you both have! The red maple & patio are great!

Philosophical Karen said...

My mom loved the rocks in my garden, so she hired the same landscaper to do her front. They couldn't put rocks in the back, though, because of the difficult access. The landscapers did lay the patio in the back, leaving plenty of space between the stones for my mom to plant thyme.

Robin said...

Oh, I love thyme growing in the cracks of a patio! How lovely!

Sigruns German Garden said...

Good photos, Karen! And a beautiful garden.

Sigrun