Friday, May 12, 2006

A Long Drink of Water

The garden is responding well to the rain, especially in the back where all the colours and textures are starting to "pop". The star of the show today is this dwarf iris ('Grape Orbit') I just planted on the weekend. There were no signs of any blooms when I planted it.


I am really loving black mulch for providing a perfect backdrop to all the colourful foliage and flowers. You can see the difference between black mulch and regular mulch over by the elm, where we have a path of brown mulch that wraps around the back of the tree.

Under Elm
The variegated leaves of 'Patriot' hosta, and the beautiful chartreuse colour of 'Sweet Kate' spiderwort look particularly good against the black mulch. The only thing the black colour doesn't do much for is dark foliage like 'Obsidian' heuchera, or 'Chocolate Chip' ajuga (bugleweed) without its blooms. 'Peach Flambe' heuchera and 'Gold Bullion' centaurea look really nice, though.

Colour and Texture
Luckily right now the bugleweed is blooming, so we can enjoy its tiny purple spikes for the next little while until it disappears into the background again.

Chocolate Chip Bugleweed
You can see them down at the front of the border under the maple in this view.

Maple Garden
In among the tulips by the chain link fence, the irises are really starting to come into their own. That dwarf iris has plenty of friends back there.

5 comments:

TraceyF said...

I could spend all day in your garden Karen. It is very beautiful. I agree on the black mulch it is very nice. The colour really pops at you.

Alison said...

Looking fabulous! I'll look into getting some of the black mulch for here. I must e-mail you some pics and dimensions of part of my back yard that I want to transform to get your opinion. I'm not working with near the space but would love to do something different.

FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

Very beautiful flowers. Don't know if we have this black mulch over here.

Sigruns German Garden said...

Karen, I like also Irises, yesterday I get as a present four diverent irises.
Your boarders looks very good!

Sigrun

Kerri said...

Karen, Thanks for stopping by and leaving such nice comments on my blog. I've just been catching up with yours and enjoying all your lovely photos. your yard is looking beautiful with all the tulips, iris, etc. I see you have a pink fringed tulip like mine. You have lots of lovely colors! I love the Zurel and the pale pinks. Love them all!!
There's no sign of blooms on my pink hardy geranium yet.
Are you far from Niagara Falls?