Saturday, May 13, 2006

3H Gardening

Well the garden is really changing a lot every day now. I keep discovering new little things happening that I hadn't noticed before. Like this 'Johnson's Blue' Cranesbill, or Hardy Geranium, that just got its first bloom.

Cranesbill
I love how "real gardeners" will make a point of saying that those ubiquitous basket stuffers everyone else calls geraniums are not really geraniums. (I think it's just a bit of secret information, like a special handshake, by which those knowledgeable gardeners recognize each other.)

On a different note, it turns out there are plenty of gardeners on Flickr. I found a group devoted to pictures of "hosta, heuchera, and hemerocallis". It makes sense that others would come up with 3H gardening, but I still like to think of it as my own invention. I almost named my blog "3H Gardening" because of my obsession with hemerocallis, heuchera, and hosta.

There will be no daylilies until late June, so I will have to be content with posting photos of hosta and heuchera for now.

Heuchera
Patriot Hosta
Hosta
And as a final unrelated bonus, I really like the way this photo of white tulips and iris turned out, so I am posting here too.

Tulips and Iris

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey what kind of heucheras are those? Peach flambe and...? I just bought and planted 4 of the flambes but mine are alot darker than this. Maybe due to them being in gallon and probably having leaves still from the fall. Any ideas?

Philosophical Karen said...

No, that's not my 'Peach Flambe' heuchera. I'm pretty sure it's 'Marmalade' (more multicoloured than 'Peach Flambe').

The other two are 'Palace Purple' (with the pointed leaves) and 'Dale's Strain' (green and red).

I usually remove the old leaves from underneath if they are looking dried out. It allows the new leaves to take over and kind of freshens up the plant.