Monday, May 22, 2006

Heuchera

I have given myself a mini-journalling project: to try to photograph and identify all my heuchera.

Heuchera 'Mardi Gras' Leaves


I usually "know" which ones I have or don't have when I go to the garden centre, so I don't tend to buy a lot of repeats. In my garden, however, I can't just look at any old heuchera and know exactly what kind it is.

Heuchera 'Dale's Strain' or 'Green Spice'?


They change from year to year as well. Sometimes the size and shape of the leaves will change, while the colour stays true. Sometimes the colour morphs into something unrecognizable from what I originally bought.

Three Heuchera under Maple


This year I won't be cutting off the flowers as I have done in the past. Because I am a fan of the foliage, and the flowers are small and unspectacular, I found there was no need to let the flower scapes grow. Now I am realizing those flowers will be a valuable aid in identification.

Heuchera Possibly 'Gypsy Dancer'
Photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be borrowed without attribution.

3 comments:

Lynne said...

you ca never have enough Heucheras! I am amzed at the variety. Enjoy your new garden view.

Diana LaMarre said...

I really like that orange one. Do you which one that is?

Philosophical Karen said...

It started out as 'Marmalade' I think. The colour has become more intense and more uniformly orange than it started out.