Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Morning Photos

Here is a picture of foliage in the garden in the early morning light. At the centre of the photo is a large clump of stachys (lambs' ears) that is starting to invade the walking path. I really don't want to dig it up right now and destroy the integrity of the clump. So I guess I will wait until after it has bloomed. At that point it starts to look a bit ratty anyway, so hacking it back can't make it look much worse.

Garden View with Trees

In checking my records for this plant with the red flowers (Rock Rose, or Helianthemum 'Henfield Brilliant') it says it is a zone 6. I usually stick with zone 5 and under because 6 is iffy. When I planted these towards the end of summer 2004, I actually put in one red and one pink. The pink did not make it, but this one is thriving.

Bugleweed with Rock Rose

I have to get pictures of these rock rose flowers first thing in the morning, because by early afternoon the petals are all falling off.

Another interesting sight this morning was a bee busy collecting nectar from my 'Johnson's Blue' hardy geranium. (Yeah, it's not a great picture. If I didn't tell you there was a bee there, you might easily miss it.)

Bee on Cranesbill
All photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be borrowed without attribution.

7 comments:

Sigruns German Garden said...

Oh, that is a great photo! Why you think it isn't?
Sigrun

Philosophical Karen said...

Sigrun, you are very kind. ;-)

I think the bee is too much in the shadows and not easy to see. But maybe I am too critical.

Alison said...

Great shot!!!! My pink and white hardy geraniums are blooming but not my blue.

Dirty Fingernails said...

I really like foliage sometimes more than the blooms.. The different shades of green are so soothing and calming..

roybe said...

That first shot is so picturesque lovely combination of plants,foliage and colours.The landscaping with the rocks looks great.

Julia said...

Everytime I see beautiful flowers it makes me breath in deeply and be a little more content. So thanks for sharing your beautiful flowers with us. :)

Robin said...

I agree with Sigrun, the bee shot is lovely! I am still undecided as to whether I love or hate lamb's ears. The foliage is so soft and I really like that but it does get ratty looking quite easily and I could do without that!