Saturday, May 06, 2006

Tulips in the Front Yard

The daffodils are dying off and the mid-to-late spring tulips are just coming into their glory. The front yard was landscaped in 2002, and I have been planting tulip bulbs there since Fall that year.

In Fall 2002 I planted 'Queen of Night' and another tall creamy white one that complemented it beautifully. The 'Queen of Night' have returned consistently since then. They are not as large and robust this year, but in many places there are now two flowers where I planted one bulb. The creamy white ones I planted were a one-shot deal, apparently, as they failed to reappear the next year.

'Shirley' and 'Pink Diamond' Tulips

In 2003, I planted a few more 'Queen of Night' and some 'Shirley' (pictured above, at left, with 'Pink Diamond'), which are white with purple edges. Both have returned consistently.

'Zurel' Tulip


In 2004 I ordered bulbs from Breck's for the first time: Raika, Zurel (a triumph tulip with Rembrandt colouring, pictured above), Ballade, and Blue Heron (a fringed tulip, pictured below). They all bloomed in Spring 2005 and I'm happy to say that at least two of each, and often more, have reappeared this year.

'Blue Heron' Tulip


Last year I planted a few different ones, still on the same purple and white theme, with the addition of 'Pink Diamond' (a very light, delicate pink, pictured with 'Shirley' at the top of the post).

No comments: