Wednesday, May 24, 2006

A Gardening Day

Today was finally a gardening day. I actually put sunscreen on and tried out one of my new gardening hats.

A Gardening Day

By sitting on the deck box against the wall of the house, you can get a fairly good view of the entire back. It's just an average suburban backyard, with approximately 60 x 40 feet (19 x 12 metres) of usable space.

The remaining bags of mulch sit idly, waiting for someone to finish the job. If you look near the arbour bench, there's a demarcation line where the mulching stopped on Saturday because it was too cold to continue.

Peach Melba Heuchera

I planted my 'Peach Melba' heuchera.* It is 'Peach Melba' and not 'Peach Flambe' even though the label said otherwise. You can see the veining on the leaves. My favourite 'Johnson's Blue' hardy geranium (cranesbill) is starting to look a little ratty after the wind and rain battered it.

* For some reason I had originally typed "hosta" here.

Wild Violets

So far this spring I have found out that cranesbill grows wild in Ontario, as does something called 'White Blue-eyed Grass' (those pretty six-petalled flowers shown in a previous post). Now, I have wild violets too. They are growing in the weed patch that is supposed to be the grassy slope in front of the shed.

Striped Beetle on Rainbarrel
All photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be borrowed without attribution.

And finally, here is a picture of a striped beetle on my rainbarrel.

12 comments:

Stuart said...

Lovely garden Karen. I've never seen a hosta that wasn't blue-green so I'm very interested in your Peach Melba (good Australian name for a plant).

Like other hosta's does it prefer shaded areas?

Alison said...

I'm thinking you meant to type heuchera not hosta....

Mulching looks grand!!!!

Sigruns German Garden said...

Yes, she means Heuchera! I like the new sorts of heucheras, in the moment you can buy a lot of.

Sigrun

Philosophical Karen said...

Yes, of course it's a heuchera not a hosta.

Please excuse my error -- it was very late for my brain to be awake.

TraceyF said...

I love the gareden Karen. Those wildflowers are beautiful too.

Anonymous said...

Don't you love it when you "finally" get a day in the garden! And always lots to accomplish, I find. What a fabulous garden space you have. I have to look at my heuchera that looks similar to yours--it might also be a 'Peach Melba'--can never have enough of the heucheras! I like the color of the beetle & rainbarrel. Nice photo(s)!

David (Snappy) said...

I love the beetle, what type is it?The garden looks fabulous.I cant wait for the working week to be over to be in the garden again.Enjoy it.

Philosophical Karen said...

I am still trying to find out what type of beetle it is. I'm really not very good at that type of research.

Carol Michel said...

Beautiful gardens. I am happy to hear that others also need sunscreen and hats. I've always worn sunscreen but thought hats were for 'old lady gardeners'. Now I also wear a hat because it is just good protection.

Philosophical Karen said...

I used to have only old boring hats, but I decided to buy myself a couple of "funky" hats for gardening. (Maybe I am kidding myself, but I think my new hats look cool.)

Robin said...

Gorgeous back yard!

Boxwood Cottage said...

The new Heuchera has a lovely leave color! Very nice picture of your backyard Karen!