Well, in spite of all the other plants in my garden -- the hostas, the heucheras, the echinacea and rudbeckia -- and in spite of the fact that I divided my 'Lullaby of Spring' iris today, cut down the lamb's ears, and tied up the Clematis jouiniana 'Mrs. Robert Brydon', in spite of all of that, it's still July. So you still get photos of daylilies in my garden.
This is 'Snowy Eyes', which bloomed today for the first time this year.
'Snowy Eyes' First Blooms Today

Hmm, these blooms are looking an awful lot like 'Siloam Doodlebug'. It's not looking like its old self at all.
'Snowy Eyes' 2004

Even last year it managed to look like this.
'Snowy Eyes' 2006

So what's with the tiny yellow flowers with pointed petals and sepals? Sigh. It's one of the daylilies I have slated to move this year. Hope it manages to come back to its senses next year. Luckily 'Elegant Candy' is still as pretty as ever. Today it gave me a beautiful polytepalous flower.
'Elegant Candy' Polytepalous Flower

And today, under the maple tree, the daylilies were the star of the show. 'Lavender Rainbow', of course, and a couple of 'Catherine Woodbury'. (Tomorrow should be good too, as the infamous bright red daylily is about to bloom.)
'Catherine Woodbury' under the Maple

Oh, and since 'Barbara Mitchell' has just about finished for this year, I thought I'd better snap a shot of these three flowers in the garden today. After this, I think there is one more bud left on the plant, then that will truly be it.
'Barbara Mitchell' Almost Finished Now

Remember I said there were other things blooming in my garden besides daylilies? Well, there's echinacea. I've got some echinacea I planted beside the east fence, 'Magnus' and 'Ruby Star'. I find 'Ruby Star' to be the more dramatic looking one, with its fiery red centre. At first I didn't think I'd be able to tell the two varieties apart -- they're both ordinary purple coneflower, after all -- but the difference in colour is easily discernible, with 'Ruby Star' being the more interesting flower.
'Ruby Star' Echinacea

Oh, and I did mention that I cut back the lamb's ears, didn't I?

Photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without permission.
It's looking a bit bare now where they were, but at least the daylilies are not being smothered anymore. When I can get my hands on some new plants, I'll rip out the rest of what's there (the lamb's ears) and plant it again from scratch.
By the way, did anyone happen to notice that I didn't have a post on July 21? There were still daylilies blooming in my garden, but guess what I was doing? That's right, reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. It took me all day to finish it. Not even my garden could drag me away from finding out Harry's fate. How about you? Are there any other Harry Potter fans out there in gardenblogland?
7 comments:
I spent the weekend reading HP7 as well. It was hot and sunny all weekend long and when I finally got into my garden again, I noticed all my zucchini had doubled in size :)
Your photos are wonderful Karen! It's strange how Snowy Eyes changed color like that.
You have some real beauties..lilies that is (of course!).
Some of mine are so buried in perennials this year. I'm waiting for the sun to come back so that I can get out into the garden and do something about that. The rain has been nice, but now that I have time to garden I'd like some sun!!!
Greedy, I know.
I love that echinaea photo!
I'm one of the only ones not reading Harry Potter, but I'd like to. One of these days.
Lovely as always! I especially love 'Catherine Woodbury' and the Echinaea.
I too just finished HP7. Sooooo good :) Were you happy with how it all came together?
Hi Kristina, sounds like magic at work to me. ;)
Hi Kerri, I am feeling like I'm not getting enough done in the garden too. I feel like it's my fault when the daylilies don't bloom or they bloom strangely.
Hi Heather, I thought you were a different Heather, who usually comments on my other blog. I was happy with how the series ended, but still find myself asking questions about what happened to certain characters.
I think Snowy Eyes is adorable. I also love that Ruby Star!
My Barbara Mitchell still has some buds, but will be going soon also:(
Karen, I gave you an award. Stop by my blog to check it out.
You still have the best buddha with complimentary plantings. Who would have thought daylilies would look so good there?
I'm not a Harry Potter reader, but I was immersed in Harry Potter for two days last week while I plotted and executed our game plan for dealing with 100 copies of the book and 50 audiorecordings at our library. How to get them all ready for our patrons in such a short timeline? Magic, of course!
I'm so glad for all the varieties of daylilies you showed. So I'll finally know what kind of colour mine are going to have when they bloom next year. I recently bought ten new sorts...but none of them had any bloom yet. Thank you for sharing these lovely pictures!
Have a good time! Greetings from Switzerland.
Barbara
Post a Comment