Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Where We're At In the Garden Now

Well, I checked last year's daylily blooming calendar (not an official calendar, just a collection of photos annotated with dates) and as with so many different blooms, this year my garden is a bit behind last year.

However, today marks the first bloom for my 'Russian Rhapsody' daylily. Last year at this time I had a few different ones blooming.

'Russian Rhapsody' First Bloom

'Russian Rhapsody' First Bloom

It's been a while since I showed my sempervivum planters. The sempervivum are starting to burst forth and bloom in their own unique way.

Concrete Bowl Planter

Sempervivum Concrete Planter

First Shallow Planter

Shallow Bowl Planter with Buddha Head

Echeveria Elegans and Second Shallow Planter

Echeveria Elegans and Sempervivum

This weekend, which was a long holiday weekend here in Canada, we accomplished a garden project that we were a bit late doing this year compared to last year. That is, mulching the back slope. I am very impressed with the quality of the mulch we were able to get this year. It's nicer than what we put down last year. (I say "we" but I have to admit this was Mr. Wonderful's work.)

New Mulch on Back Slope

Backyard with New Mulch

This is what the front garden currently looks like, with 'Moonglow' daylilies blooming profusely, a healthy growth of English ivy wrapped around the rock, and two planters to provide some interest while we are waiting for rudbeckia and echinacea to bloom. Oh, and we are waiting for the 'Luxury Lace' daylilies in the background to bloom too.

Front Porch Garden Display

Front Porch Garden Display

One newly planted echinacea in the front garden is working on its first flower. This is how it's currently coming along.

First Echinacea

First Echinacea
Photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without permission.

4 comments:

Jeremy said...

I really like how you have incorporated the natural stone into your garden beds. I have just started to do that myself and it makes quite a difference. Great job on all!

Alison said...

I always forget year by year how long the echinacea takes to unfurl.

Gardenista said...

I love the look of the wood mulch. It looks like western red cedar. The smell of that stuff is great, isn't it?

I am still waiting for my first daylily and I see you have "Little Business". I am growing that one here for the first time and am interested to see the color. Do you have a color "theme" in your garden?

Sigrun said...

Karen, you have asked me for a closer look at my pots. Please com and see - in five minutes!

Sigrun