Floral and Hardy Gardens

Floral and Hardy Gardens, run by Betty and Marv, has close to 3000 daylily cultivars to choose from. Of course I bought eight, which I will list later.
Betty's own gardens are gorgeous. She even hosts wedding photos there. I just have a few pictures of spots that I would love to call my own, and I'm going to try to emulate in some small way.
Betty's Garden by the House

Betty loves hosta, heuchera, and hemerocallis just as I do. As well as the daylilies, she has close to 500 varieties of hosta, and over 120 varieties of heuchera (including heucherella and tiarella).
Hosta, Heuchera, and Hemerocallis

I fell immediately in love with two plants in her garden: 'Postman's Pride' sedum and 'Blue Mouse Ears' hosta, which you can see in the photo above forming a triangle with the unmistakeable 'Lime Rickey' heuchera.
Notice how Betty labels everything in her garden? She asked me did I have labels in my garden. I told her no, I used an album. Not good enough! No excuses! And since it's getting harder and harder to keep track of my plants now, I may just take Betty's advice and start labelling them.
And here is another lovely combo from Betty's garden.
More of Betty's Garden

Do I wish Betty's garden was my garden? You bet I do!
Oh, and my purchases? Here is a list:
- All American Baby
- Apollo's Chariot
- Bela Lugosi
- Darkside
- Highland Lord
- Persian Ruby
- Root Beer
- Smith Brothers
'Root Beer' Planted in My Garden

Finding 'Darkside' was also a fluke, as Betty had thought she was sold out of them. They were handmarked with odd labels (none of which said 'Darkside'), but looked just like the 'Darkside' demo plant. See, I told Betty I liked the dark purple daylilies, so that is what I got a lot of.
'Persian Ruby' Planted in My Garden

Photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without permission.
However, 'Persian Ruby' and 'Highland Lord' are actually reds, and 'All American Baby' is a small, cream flower with delicate watermark. It is similar to another lovely daylily that I would have bought if someone didn't name it after the kind of lingerie you need to go to a special store to buy. I can't even put the name of it in my blog because I would get all kinds of undesirable hits from people searching for ... that sort of thing.
9 comments:
Oh what a lovely daylily garden you have visited! Over 3000 daylilies sounds amazing! I also love the plants you mentioned, heucerellas, hostas etc. That little tiny Blue Mouse Ears- hosta is sooooo cute! Havent seen here anything like that. I also had a look of your garden. You havent showed it much this year I think? You should, its one of the best rock gardens I've ever seen!
Beautiful garden indeed! I would suggest however that yours is just as grand!
Now that you've had your first visit to a daylily garden, you'll see how addictive it is. I have had three trips already this year plus a few visits to a farmers market where they sell different plants each Saturday. I'm not done yet. I bought 3 on Friday, that makes 19 this year. I still plan on another visit for late bloomers. I love Root Beer which is my favorite drink. I need to look that one up.
Oh I love those Hosta's. I am wanting also to try Heuchera next year. What kind of shade can it take?
:)
Hi Curtis, in my experience heuchera prefer a bit of shade and actually do not do too well in full sun. Many of mine get crisp around the edges if I am not careful to manage enough shade for them. (This is even worse with heucherella, and with light-coloured foliage in my experience.) I don't recall ever having a problem with 'Obsidian' or 'Beauty Colour', but their flowers are quite plain. 'Gypsy Dancer' has nice foliage and flowers and seems fairly robust in my garden.
Thank you very much for writing about the daylily garden.
Your daylily plants are beautiful and I can use some more in my garden as well. Thank you for posting the pictures.
I agree with Karen, heuchera prefer some shade.
Hi Karen,I must go and see Bettys 3000 Hemerocallis and her beautiful garden.It is very photogenic.You must have been in heaven :)
Hi Snappy, bring a hat, a bottle of water (it's HOT out there), and your chequebook. ;-)
Yes, it's a wonderful place to go. I've been twice now. I still didn't get to see as much of the proper gardens as I'd like, because I kept wandering in the sales area looking at all the daylilies for sale.
Sounds like you found a bit of heaven!
Post a Comment