A daylily that I planted last year without seeing what the blooms looked like just bloomed for me today. (Well, technically it bloomed first on Saturday, but I was so ensconced in Harry Potter that I never saw it.)
The bloom I was expecting looked more like this. What I got was this (still a very nice bloom):
David Kirchoff First Bloom Today

For a moment I thought I'd found a proper name for my 'Moristar Mix' daylily, but it doesn't have the yellow picotee around the edge of the petals.
Compare to 'Moristar Mix' (Earlier this Month)

In fact, 'David Kirchoff' seems to have more in common with this next first-bloomer than with 'Moristar Mix'. 'Light Years Away' is one of my most piecrusted, picoteed, what-have-you'ed daylilies. When it looks good, it's very, very good but when it doesn't it's awful. (One lady I know compared it to a fried wonton.) Thankfully, today's bloom is quite lovely.
Light Years Away

And finally, just as promised, the red daylily 'Royal Mountie' bloomed today.
Royal Mountie

Photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without permission.
This is the only daylily I have where the petals seem to fold into themselves at the bottom, like a pinwheel. It's not something I see a lot of.
And I see a lot of daylilies -- at least photos of them.
6 comments:
you were rewarded with a lovely bloom.
Love the yellow picotee, that's a charmer!
Beautiful Daylilies. :)
You have lots of them, i can see.
With many colours and variety.
I only have two. One yellow and one red. They have just started blooming.
Enjoy summer and gardening.
You must be happy in these lovely surroundings.
Best wishes from Ida.
Wow, one more nice than the others.
Sigrun
The Red Mountie is really pretty ... I had no idea that there was a daylily named after the Mounties.
Absolutely GORGEOUS! I'm gaining a new appreciation for daylilies every day I walk into the garden and see their colorful and cheery blooms.
Post a Comment