Tuesday, July 17, 2007

In the Garden Today

A funny thing happened today. It's not exactly a rare occurrence to have a bird fly pell-mell into our patio doors. It happens maybe once or twice a year. But we've never had one that left an imprint before. (Must've been a dirty bird.)

Imprint

While I'm on the subject, one of the successes in my garden has been (the other side of) this lattice wall, on which I installed some trellises for the harlequin honeysuckle to climb. When first installed, the honeysuckle, and in fact the whole bed, was fairly immature.

Lattice Wall, June 2006

Trellis 2006

In spite of being infested with aphids earlier this year, the harlequin honeysuckle has really taken off.

Lattice Wall, July 2007

Lattice Wall July 2007

The garden under the elm is not doing too badly either. Well, okay, this is my version of showing an "ugly" part of my garden. (I forget who it is, but there is someone who's been encouraging fellow garden bloggers to show the less savoury areas of their gardens.) It's not actually that ugly, but it definitely has its flaws. Like the insect-eaten elm leaves, and the shabby-looking lamb's ears. (I am actually considering ripping the whole clump of lamb's ears out and starting from scratch with new plants.)

Elm with Buddha and Daylilies

Elm with Daylilies

I love how the woolly thyme is so thick it's creeping up the rocks.

One of the things responsible for some bits of unpleasantness in my garden is a couple of chipmunks who have moved in. You wouldn't know it to look at them, though, because they are so cute.

Chipmunk

Chipmunk

And, as a further respite from ugliness, I want to show you my two 'Lavender Rainbow' daylilies in context with 'Tequila Sunrise' coreopsis and 'Marmelade' heuchera.

Lavender Rainbow in Context

Lavender Rainbow in Context

And finally, because we have opened the door to ugliness today, I must show you that the only first bloom I had on this date was 'Daveo Holman'. Never a spectacularly pretty bloom anyway, this year the buds are all small and even slightly deformed. So it won't be a great year for this variety, as seen by the condition of this bloom.

'Daveo Holman' First Bloom Today

Daveo Holman
Photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without permission.

3 comments:

David (Snappy) said...

Hi Karen, scrolling down your posts you really are the Daylily queen.I must look out for Barbara Mitchell for a scented one.
How do you remember seventy varieties names?I can forget a plant name an hour after buying it.
The chipmunk is cute.Such a sweet face, even though they are devils for wreaking havoc on your garden.

Robin's Nesting Place said...

Karen, even your "uglies" are pretty. Chipmunks are cute but I hated having them in my yard in Alabama. We had so many and they were so destructive. I used to trap them and take them off to the woods.

kate said...

The chipmunk is cute, but not exactly plant friendly. The honeysuckle climbing on the trellis is thriving. I like your trellis a lot. I'm in a trellis-building phase these days.

Your daylilies are pretty. I love them!