Here is a photo of Druid's Chant.
Druid's Chant

And here is the unknown.
Unknown (Possibly 'Daring Deception')

While it's encouraging to see new blooms, the more plants I get, the more I am seeing of quite a different phenomenon. The number of plants I have that are not sending up scapes is quite dismaying! Some of these have not bloomed since the first year I bought them:
- Scatterbrain (2004)
- Ida's Magic (2005)
- Nile Crane (2006)
- Franz Hals (2006)
- Spider Miracle (2006)
- Flamboyant Eyes (2007!)
I've researched reasons why daylilies don't bloom, and it appears to be that their needs for sun and water are not being met. It is possible to plant a daylily too deeply, which can affect its ability to bloom. There is also the possibility of overcrowding. With 'Scatterbrain', I suspect it's being strangled by the vinca that surrounded it in the summer of 2005. I have moved 'Ida's Magic' this year to a place in the sun, and I am paying more attention to watering it.
'Nile Crane' is (I'm hoping) a very specific problem that won't repeat itself: a squirrel planted a corn seed in the early spring right where the daylily was growing. The corn was indistinguishable from the daylily until it grew into a recognizable corn plant about a foot (30 cm) tall. By that time, the corn roots had grown over the daylily's crown, pretty much "strangling" it.
I suspect overcrowding is an issue with 'Franz Hals', since three daylilies are sharing a small space that is rapidly being overtaken by a large evergreen tree. 'Spider Miracle' probably needs a new location with more sun and less competition for water. And finally, I don't know what's up with 'Flamboyant Eyes'. It's a brand new purchase that never got scapes. I'm thinking of contacting the place I bought it from.
However, one new purchase this year is looking very lovely. 'All American Plum' had three blooms today.
All American Plum

Photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without permission.
6 comments:
I have some that didn't bloom too. A few my husband took the new growth off with the mower mistaking them for overgrown grass (I have a rock boundary there too). The ones you have blooming are spectacular!
Wow, I love Druid's Chant.
Daylilies do need at least 4 hours of sun a day and should be planted 12-18 inches apart.
They will flower with low water supply but the blooms will be smaller and the scapes may be shorter.
I hope that helps a little.
Karen that All Ammerican Plum is stunning!!
In your last post a ~turtle~ visited your garden!! That means prosperity to you ..good energy..make sure he stays!!!
I've not had one yet but here's hoping!! hugs NG
I just go from picture to picture oohing and aahing. The lilies are all so beautiful, but you're right about the dark ones. All American Plum is a real beauty. I love Chicago Atlas. I have Chicago Star, not blooming yet. I need to thin surrounding plants from many of my lilies.
A few of mine don't have scapes either. Thanks for the helpful info. I enjoyed your photography tips too.
You're doing a great job Karen! Thanks for the "in context" photos. We all seem to love seeing these kind of photos, don't we?
We've had a bit of rain lately but more would be welcome.
today is perfect for gardening...sunny and 84º (28ºC) so out I go!
You aren't alone. My Destined to See didn't bloom, both plants.. I am hoping next year will be the one..
I have had day lilies for the past five years and they have not bloomed. I live in the caribbean Barbados to be exact. All I get is lots of leaves, they are in partial sun (morning) I had them in full sun and they weren't doing too well so I moved them.I do not fertilize but am thinking of giving them some bloom and hoping for the best.
Post a Comment