Thursday, July 05, 2007

July "Fireworks"

You know that moment on fireworks day (whenever it occurs in your region) when dusk is just turning into night and you hear in the distance the pop-pop-pops of the early adventurers who just can't wait? That is a metaphor right now for the daylily blooms in my garden. It's just the first few early ones now. Soon enough, there will be the usual July onslaught of daylily blooms.

As an example, I'm fairly certain that tomorrow will be the big day for 'Barbara Mitchell'. (And since Snappy was interested in scented daylilies, I should probably mention that 'Barbara Mitchell' is one of mine that has a nice fragrance.)

'Barbara Mitchell' Will Bloom Tomorrow

Tomorrow Is Barbara Mitchell's Big Day

I had only one "new" daylily bloom today. I'm calling it 'Edge of Darkness'. (It could just as easily be 'Always Afternoon'. Much to my chagrin, the two look identical in my garden, where I have planted them -- by sheer coincidence -- right next to each other.)

Edge of Darkness Daylily

Edge of Darkness

But I must post one more picture of 'Raspberry Swirl'. It's the last bloom. It is such a beautiful flower, one of my new favourites.

The Last Bloom for 'Raspberry Swirl'

The Last Raspberry Swirl

And finally, in case Gardenista drops by, here is a pinkish version of 'Little Business'. The flowers decide what colour they want to be. Early blooms are bright red, but as the season progresses, more and more of the flowers end up being hot pink with a faint red eyezone around the yellow-green throat.

'Little Business' (Pinker Version)

'Little Business'
Photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without permission.

At least, that's how it is in my garden.

3 comments:

Jane O' said...

I'm glad you showed Raspberry Swirl again. I love it and it reminded me to add it to my "must have" list.

Gardenista said...

Thanks for the photo of "Little Business" - quite lovely. I think I'll be waiting a little while yet for my first blooms! The pink will be nice.

Anonymous said...

Thank you again for posting the wonderful pictures.
Just purchased two daylily plants,
Tuscavilla Tigress and Strawberry Candy.
cheers from Canada