Thursday, July 26, 2007

Flowers and Garden Views

Only one new bloom today, and a sad little bloom it is, although I am remarkably cheered that this daylily managed to flower at all.

Very late in the season it sent up a couple of spindly scapes. This one had a bud that actually managed to bloom -- barely. The other scapes and their buds are slowly shrivelling. Sigh. I'm not even sure what plant it is, but I am guessing it's 'Royal Palace Prince', based on its location and colouring.

EDIT: I guessed wrong. See below.

Unknown First Bloom Today

Unknown First Bloom Today

This is what 'Royal Palace Prince' looked like two years ago, when it would have been a new plant:

'Royal Palace Prince' 2005

Daylily 'Royal Palace Prince' 2005

However, today's bloom could also be 'Mariska', which looked like this last year.

EDIT: It is 'Mariska'.

'Mariska' 2006

'Mariska' Daylily 07/27/06


Now from first blooms to last blooms. Here is Barbara Mitchell's farewell flower.

Last Bloom for 'Barbara Mitchell'

The Last 'Barbara Mitchell'

Remember I said I could see the difference between my echinaceas 'Magnus' and 'Ruby Star'? I finally took a photo so that you can see too.

Echinacea 'Ruby Star' (Back) and 'Magnus' (Front)

Magnus and Ruby Star

Well, maybe this isn't the best photo for showing the difference, but I still like 'Ruby Star' for its dark pink petals and bright red centre.

Here is a photo of 'Purple d'Oro' blooming in my garden. I have said how it's getting smaller and more delicate every year, turning into a miniature over time. The scapes are about 3 inches (8 cm) high. (Last year they were 4 inches.) It's a pretty little plant, but I certainly didn't know in advance that this was what I would be getting.

Purple d'Oro

Purple d'Oro

Well, I do love my purple daylilies and variegated foliage, and here is a photo that places both together in a combination that never fails to appeal to me.

'Cricket Dance' Daylily and Harlequin Honeysuckle

'Cricket Dance' Daylily and Harlequin Honeysuckle

And finally, I was wandering around the garden fairly early this morning, trying to decide whether to photograph the 'Bonanza' daylilies that were blooming near the sidewalk, when I noticed that the view between the trees was certainly worth looking at. I had to crouch a bit to get a good photo, but this is essentially what my garden looks like from the sidewalk -- a view I hardly ever pause to take in myself.

View from the Sidewalk

Sidewalk View
Photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without permission.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thoroughly enjoy the pictures of your garden! I just moved into a house where I will be trying to ressurect and restructure the existing "gardens." I posted pictures of the yard and all the work needed today. Check it out if you have time!

Gardenista said...

What a rainbow of color? Do you have many more plants yet to bloom? I'd like to see a panoramic shot to get an idea of the whole landscape incorporating the daylilies! I know some times in the year there are bare spots though so even I won't take pictures of the broad landscape. Your yard's landscaping is so worth seeing, with all the rockwork and levels.

Anonymous said...

Woooow, so beautiful daylilies!! I'm impressed! I guess, your pictures too have started a new passion.....I've recently bought ten new plants and I'm looking forward to seeing their first blooms next year. Enjoy your garden and greetings from Switzerland.
Barbara

Philosophical Karen said...

Chicksey, thanks, I'll have to take a look.

Gardenista, I stitched together a panorama of the backyard last year and posted it here. I am hoping you can also see the larger version of that photo. It's from August last year, so it seems very bare and dry, but you can see the structure of the garden. I will try and put together another more recent one.

Barbara, thanks for commenting. I hope you enjoy your daylilies. The wait is so frustrating, but when they do bloom, it's wonderful!

Kerri said...

Cricket Dance is one of my absolute favourites of yours. It does look great with the variagated foliage. I'm glad to hear we share a few daylilies now :) Mariska is beautiful.
I also saw Barbara Mitchell and loved it, but went for the taller plant.
Your view from the sidewalk is so pretty.
Fabulous photos Karen. I'd love to be close enough to get some photography advise from you!

Anonymous said...

Very beautiful!

Florist web