Monday, July 09, 2007

A Banner Day for Daylilies

Well, today was the banner day for daylilies in my garden. We had a lot of rain yesterday afternoon and evening, and today is starting off sunny and humid. Mr. Wonderful and I were running around like dervishes yesterday morning, trying to get the black mulch down in the front garden. (Nothing like threatening rainclouds and distant thunder as incentive to work faster!)

Not all of today's blooms are as pretty as they could be. Since this is a journal I record the first blooms, regardless of whether they are worth looking at. I suppose it's also informative to other gardeners who may want a particular daylily, to show that not every bloom is a perfect example of what the plant is capable of. (You only have to look at the first 'Raspberry Swirl' to know that.)

First, the "first blooms".

Blueberry Candy
(polytepalous -- and quite blemished, unfortunately)

'Blueberry Candy' First Bloom 09/07/07

Lavender Rainbow
(looking very yellow in the morning light)

'Lavender Rainbow' First Bloom 09/07/07

Wayside King Royale

'Wayside King Royale' First Bloom 09/07/07

Mini Might
(a miniature double daylily)

'Mini Might' First Bloom 09/07/07

Black Eyed Susan
(still yawning and stretching this early in the morning)

'Black Eyed Susan' First Bloom 09/07/07

Luxury Lace
(formerly mistaken for 'Catherine Woodbury')

'Luxury Lace' First Bloom


Other blooms today:

Another 'Moonlit Masquerade'

'Moonlit Masquerade'

Two 'Russian Rhapsody'

Two 'Russian Rhapsody' Blooms Today

Two (of Three) 'Siloam Plum Tree'

Two (of Three) 'Siloam Plum Tree' Blooms Today

Barbara Mitchell

'Barbara Mitchell'
Photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without permission.

By the way, as you may recall from a previous post, I now have two 'Wayside King Royale' plants. I was vaguely hoping there would be some sort of difference between them. Nope. Turns out their flowers are identical, even giving first blooms on the same day (except that my existing plant from last year actually gave me two blooms today, and one of them was quite blemished, so I didn't bother photographing that plant at all).

3 comments:

Naturegirl said...

Karen a stunning show of your lilies
in the last few posts! Great color! Have you planted them throughout your garden or all together? They are showstoppers! hugs NG

Sigrun said...

Oh, all those wonderful daylilies! This year I can not take a Photograph of all my Hems, because it is allways raining!

Sigrun

FO - 2 said...

Lot`s and lot`s of Day Lilies. A beautiful sight for sore eyes. :)
A wonderful variety of colours. :)