Sunday, May 27, 2007

Annual Trip to Canning

Yesterday we made the once-yearly trip to Canning Perennials.

Shopping at Canning Perennials

Shopping at Canning

(By the way, not shown in the photo above are 3 more daylilies, another large echeveria, and another heuchera.)

Last year I thought that I would have no new daylilies any more. However, I forgot that Canning always has plenty of "NEW" plants in their catalog every year, including daylilies. I tried to limit myself to 5 new daylilies, but I came away with 8.* Can I help it if my husband encourages me with, "We only come once a year. Make sure you get everything you want. Remember, we won't be coming back." (Is he not truly wonderful, indeed?)

One of the 8 was 'Wayside King Royale', which is one I already have, but the label looked different from mine and it was one my husband himself was urging me to get. The label showed a big, dark, lush flower. Maybe it will be different from the way this one looked in a photo from last year:

Wayside King Royale, July 2006

'Wayside King Royale' Daylily 07/21/06

My two favourite finds, however, are not daylilies at all, but PINK echeveria.

Echeveria 'Perl von Nurnberg'

Echeveria 'Perl von Nurnberg'

Echeveria 'Krinkle'

Echeveria 'Krinkle'

And this is what they look like planted in my stone-look container with echeveria 'Black Prince' (on the right) and sempervivum 'Hey-Hey' (on the left). There are some other echeveria that I don't know there too. They came from my Wal-Mart planters.

Echeveria and Sempervivum Planter

Mostly Echeveria

Now for some other garden photos. Someone was asking how tall Lewisia flowers grow, so I took a picture that shows more of the context of the plants.

Lewisia Plants in Context

Lewisia Cotyledon Blooming

The flowers grow on stems about 12 cm (4 in.) long that grow out of a rosette of leaves similar to a sempervivum. The flowers are thin in the centre because the stems grow from the outside edge of the plant.

Another beautiful recent bloomer is my 'Sweet Kate' spiderwort (Tradescantia), one of my favourites for its combination of chartreuse foliage and rich purple flowers.

'Sweet Kate' Spiderwort

Tradescantia

Here is a picture of my little fairy girl ornament. She is very photogenic.

Little Fairy Girl Ornament

Fairy Girl

And finally, though I am not terribly crafty like many garden bloggers are, I was not liking the colour and texture of this new Buddha ornament I got for the garden (not from Canning -- it's another Wal-Mart special). So I bought some spray paint and changed the look. He used to be a smooth grey, now he is a textured sand colour.

Brand New Buddha Ornament Improved with Textured Paint

New Buddha
Photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without attribution.

---
* When it comes down to it, I really got only 6. It turned out that in my haste I had picked up two of the same. (I gave the repeat to my mother.) Also, I would not have picked up 'Wayside King Royale' myself because it is the same as one I already have in my garden. So, the hemerocallis I chose to purchase were:I would have liked to get some others from the catalogue, but I was limited to what was in stock. (Maybe that's a good thing!)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've grown several of these plants and they can form amazing rosettes. I usually pick them up at the grocery stores for next to nothing. I do note that none of them are likely to prove hardy in Southern Ontario (but you already knew that)

Carol Michel said...

I am suitably green with envy. Looks like you got a lot of new plants, and I like how you painted the Buddha to be more natural.

Philosophical Karen said...

Yes, the echeverias do not withstand our winter, but lewisias (despite what people have heard) will. Most hens'n'chicks do fine over winter, even in containers.

My echeverias are usually tired and overgrown by the end of the growing season, so I am happy enough to discard them and buy new again in spring.

Philosophical Karen said...

Oops, hi Carol. I was still replying to Doug when your comment came in. Thanks for stopping by.

Alison said...

Looking good! We have had summer the last couple of days so things are growing quickly! I really should get out and take some pics! Daylily shopping here I come!

Whyite said...

I'm with Carol, I am also green with envy.

They all look so wonderful. I like the Echeveria 'Perl von Nurnberg'.

Jeremy said...

I was at Canning on the weekend as well. They have great variety and a lot of things that I have not seen anywhere else. I like your selections.

Unknown said...

Lovely, Karen--and great job on the Buddha. He looks like he was made in that finish instead of a smooth grey!

Which heucheras did you get? (These are my weakness, I think... so I'm trying to shop vicariously!)

Naturegirl said...

Karen I love the fairy! Your photography is superb!I must invest in a camera like yours! I love the succulents too we do need more troughs don't we! Happy gardening Hugs NG

Annie in Austin said...

If you get tired of 'Ed Murray', send him down to Austin ...mmmm, mmmm.

I've used a sandstone finish spray paint, too and liked the effect, but there always seems to too much paint for the amount of fizz in the container. Your work on the statue really looks good, Karen.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose