Saturday, May 19, 2007

Digging in the Dirt

Both our composters got filled up over winter, and with spring finally here, it's definitely time to make room for a fresh crop. So our project for today was "harvesting" our compost. We half-emptied both containers, taking the well-cooked stuff from the bottom of the containers, and aerating the rest. Then we emptied any open bags of topsoil, and old planters and baskets into the mix, along with a layer of shredded leaves. (We always save a bag of leaves in the fall so we will have dry material for the composter the next spring.)

As I've said before on this blog, I used an organic compost accelerator, which is just a powdery mix that you sprinkle over the layers of compostable material. It requires you to wet it down to get it to work, but our compost was a little dry after the winter, so we needed to add water to it anyway.

Harvesting Compost

The amount of compost we removed filled several 14-inch pots, along with one large storage box.

Compost

I wish I had time for more big garden projects tomorrow -- it's the first long weekend of the gardening season, after all -- but my nephew has chosen it as his wedding day, so I'll be spending most of the morning cleaning the dirt from under my fingernails, and otherwise trying to make myself look presentable.

And speaking of presentable, compost is not exactly the type of photo people are looking for when they visit garden blogs, so here is something a bit prettier.

Unknown Late Daffodil

Unknown Daffodil

'Peach Melba' Heuchera

Peach Melba Heuchera

Irises Close Up

Irises in Evening Light
Photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without attribution.

5 comments:

Alison said...

Yay for compost!!! I have yet to get at ours...this weekend the weather has been frightful! The plants look grand as always!

Thanks for the tree advice. My big decision now is to go for the Crimson King or a Japanese Maple...two very different creatures I realize! Never fear me using red mulch! It would not happen!

Sigrun said...

Hi Karen, yes, I know Hokus pokus but sorryly I'm not very happy with it. It do not like the sun and next week I will put it in a pot and place it in the shade. The foliage is lovely, isn't it?

I like each compost place, gold for the garden!
Come to my blog, I have some Geraniums for you.

Sigrun

Naturegirl said...

Karen I LoVe the NEW look to your blog and 2 more I see!It is always a delight to come by your site!
I have not been visiting blogs as much lately too much happening in my world. I love your garden and always such clear photos ..you must have a sUpEr camera!
It is so wonderful to finally get out into the garden but I wish the temperature would stay consistently warm...I can't garden with cold feet and hands..Happy gardening!
I will take time and check out your other 2 sites :) NG

FO - 2 said...

Good "food" for your garden and your flowers the compost. (:

I hope you got your nails all clean and that you had a great time at the wedding. (:

People says that I must have green fingers...
I would say that they are more black... ;) I guess yours are similar to mine. ;)

The flowers and the foliage are lovely! (:

Whyite said...

Good compost thats made at home. I haven't composted for years I think at least 10 years. Ive been buying store bought. Time to start it up again. Your garden and your blog are pretty.