Mary, Mary, quite contraryThere's none of that in my garden, but on the weekend I did do some shopping at the local garden centre attached to the grocery store. This is a great time of year to go there, just when they have all the new stock in and they haven't been picked over too much. I found a great ornament that matches my buddha statue. It's the same type of thing, only just the head.
How does your garden grow?
With silver bells and cockle shells
And pretty maids all in a row
New Garden Ornament

I picked up the first of my container plants. I haven't actually planted them yet, but I'm getting a feel for how they will go together by gathering them in my favourite pot (a sphere with an angled edge -- I've looked and looked but I can't find another one like it; my mother wants one too).
Plants Gathered in My Favourite Container

The lamium at the front of the pot survived from last year. Bonus!
Many of the daffodils and early tulips are fading, while late tulips and irises are coming into play; for example, these fringed tulips.
'Blue Heron' Fringed Tulips

'Pink Fountain' Fringed Tulip

Here are some bright pink tulips in front of the irises that are ready to bloom now. You can just see my 'Snow Angel' heuchera sending up flower stalks in the bottom right.
Pink Tulips, with Iris and 'Snow Angel' Heuchera

Here are some late tulips just starting to bloom. You can also see my Holger juniper, 'Rosanne' hardy geranium, some 'Chocolate Chip' ajuga (bugleweed) just starting to bloom, and an expanse of flagstone pathway.
Late Tulips in the Backyard

Here is a close-up shot of one the tulips. I think it is a 'Black Hero' double late tulip.
'Black Hero' Double Late Tulip

As I mentioned, the early tulips are finishing now.
White Tulip Dying

These Tulips Remind Me of Fried Eggs

And, to finish up, a picture of the little fritillaria whose purple is now fading as it gets ready to give up the ghost for another year.
Little Fritillaria, Almost Finished

Photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without attribution.
9 comments:
I really like your new ornamental head. (:
I love the message and meaning of Buddhism.
Tranquilizing.
Suitable to your garden, i think.
It must be lovely! (:
All of your tulips are just beautiful! (:
Wishing you a great week.
Delicious photos again.How many types of tulips do you have?I love the chocolate chip plant (mm choc chips), and the amazing variety of tulip blooms.I always imagine them like your orange ones that ended up in the vase.I have a collection of buddahs too, from my late dads flat.I keep buying new ones.A buddah in every room.The biggest one i have is at my sisters awaiting for me to pick it up.Its a foot high, made of solid stone.It is very heavy.The perfect garden ornament for when i move to somewhere with a garden.
I love the black hero late tulip.You keep me salivating for tulips, they will go on my ever expanding wish list :)
Chocolate chip Ajuga? mhmm. Love the dark pink frindged tulips and the Black Hero, the Heuchera and it all looks lovely.
How many Tulips do you have? :-)
Good Growing!
Love the tulips! It must be a real joy to step out into your yard each day.
http://gardeningforhealth.blogspot.com
I've never stopped to think how many tulips I have in my garden. One part of it is that I'm never sure which ones will return from previous years, so each fall I keep planting more to keep up the show in the spring. I've only been planting bulbs for four or five years, but I'm finding that most of the fancy tulips are giving me two reliable years, with the second year showing much smaller, weaker flowers. (Many of my oldest bulbs will still sprout with large leaves, but no flowers. I remove those when I find them.)
To keep up the show, I regularly buy some of the same type of bulbs each fall, along with a few new ones that catch my eye. Some of the ones I have: Zurel, Blue Heron, Queen of the Night, Black Hero, Black Parrot, Pink Diamond, Shirley, Raika, Ballade, Jackpot. Usually each package contains 5-10 bulbs, so each spring I have dozens of tulips in my front garden.
Some of mine are close to opening but we are nowhere near your stage yet! My heucheras are not in terrible shape but they are less than stellar...all of them in fact! We are freezing here today so I'm not sure how soon anything will be on the grow!
Lots of lovely tulips in bloom in your gardens.
When I lived where tulips grow, that's how it worked in my garden, too - just kept adding more, and enjoyed whatever varieties appeared each year. With some looking much better in the vase than in the border!
Your tulips look great - even the variety, "Fried-egg White"... you could make eggs a recurring theme, Karen, with Linaria/Butter and Eggs, Eggplant, and Limnanthes douglasii, known as the Poached Egg Plant ;-]
This is making me want an omelette for lunch!
Annie at the Transplantable Rose
lol, i can see what you mean about the white tulips, sunside up, i guess.
Post a Comment