Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Heuchera

I really love heuchera. Not quite as much as I love hemerocallis, but it's a really close second. While hemerocallis is all about the flowers, the thing about heuchera is, it’s all about the foliage.

Or is it?

Lately, the many new hybrids coming out are paying as much attention to the flowers as to the leaves. So my goal is to obtain and plant beautiful heuchera whose flowers are as showy as their foliage.

Last year there was ‘Hollywood’, ‘Gypsy Dancer’, and ‘Snow Angel’.

‘Hollywood’ Heuchera (from last year)

Hollywood Heuchera and Harlequin Honeysuckle

‘Gypsy Dancer’ Heuchera

'Gypsy Dancer' in the Garden

‘Snow Angel’ Heuchera (from last year)

'Snow Angel' Heuchera

This year I have purchased ‘Mocha Mint’, ‘Cinnabar Silver’, and ‘Petite Marbled Burgundy’ for their flowers.

‘Mocha Mint’ Heuchera

'Mocha Mint' Heuchera

‘Cinnabar Silver’ Heuchera

'Cinnabar Silver' Heuchera

‘Petite Marbled Burgundy’ Heuchera

'Petite Marbled Burgundy' Heuchera
Photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without attribution.

This post is for Kim (Blackswamp Girl), my fellow heuchera enthusiast.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Oooooh.... :)

Thanks, Karen. I needed that today. What a beauty.

David (Snappy) said...

Its gorgeous.I love the colours and textures of the Heucheras I have seen.

Kerri said...

I'm just recently falling in love with heuchera too :) Actually it was mostly your pictures of last year that created more of an interest in it for me. I just bought a burgandy leaved variety. No name on it. I wonder if it is "Snow Angel". No matter, I love the color of the leaves!
Thanks so much for naming the fringed tulip. Yes...I love to know the names of my plants :) I saw that you had the same one, and your pink is beautiful too.
I can't wait to see your daylilies! And mine, of course :)

Bob said...

Heucheras are some of my favourites. Your post reminded me that I need to post some of mine. I really enjoy your blog.
All the best,
Bob

Sigrun said...

Hi Karen, I love Heucheras too, but I have not one in the moment. The four I had, are all overgrown and gone. In my garden there is now place for this small flowers, I have high perennials and roses and shrubs.
But a friend of mine has a lot of heucheras and heucherellas and tiarellas along a way in the garden.

Sigrun

David (Snappy) said...

They are lovely plants.You would have sold them to me.They are on my planting wish list, a bed full of different Heuchera.your photos are fab!

Naturegirl said...

Karen I know these as ~coral bells~
Forgive me but I had the brown leafed with red blossom under my Japanese maples and dug them up and threw them away!! Yikes I actually admitted this to you! I find once they flower all you have is the colored leaf...I suppose with our short summer season I prefer to look at blossoms..I still have The ~petite marbled burgandy~ around the birch tree...oh oh I am looking to replace them. That's what gardening is all about we try we replace we try something different. I am sure you would agree.Happy gardening!hugs NG

Whyite said...

ohh I love the Mocha mint one. But they all look very beautiful.

Diana LaMarre said...

Karen,
You have the largest collection of heuchera of anyone I know.

I love all the different foliage colors and textures. I have about 8 plants, but they are all the same purple variety.

I plant to look for some new ones if I ever get out shopping before the planting season ends.