Thursday, May 03, 2007

It Feels Like a Real Garden Now

Well, at last there are enough bulbs blooming that my garden feels like a real garden again. Here is my favourite spring bed. It just keeps getting better as I plant more bulbs. This year there are nice clumps of daffodils to look at.

My Favourite Spring Garden Bed

Elm Garden

Mixed Daffodils

Clump of Mixed Daffodils

The hyacinths are reaching their peak. They have such a strong fragrance, I don't even like to get close to them in the garden (except the white ones, which have a more delicate fragrance, reminiscent of cinnamon). However, they are all lovely to look at. These light purple ones are growing amongst the vinca, which is also blooming with a carpet of light purple flowers. Surrounded by yellow 'Saybrook Gold' juniper (which you can't really see in this photo), the effect is quite pleasing.

Light Purple Hyacinths

Light Purple Hyacinth

The first tulips have also bloomed. This is only two days later than last year, instead of a whole week, but the ones that are blooming are a new variety I planted in Fall 2006. The ones planted in Fall 2005 that are returning are still only buds, just getting a touch of colour. (Just as a side note, that curly grass in the top left corner of the photo is really popular with nesting birds right now. It's amazing how carefully the birds will choose -- and reject -- materials for their nests.)

First Tulips of 2007

First Tulips 2007

Tulip (Opening Soon)

Tulip

Open Tulip

Open Tulip

Finally, even though I've had daffodils for a while, the daffodils I was most looking forward to have just "arrived". Here are two of them.

'Delibes' Daffodil

'Delibes' Daffodil

'Flower Record' Daffodil

'Flower Record' Daffodil
Photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without attribution.

5 comments:

Gardenista said...

My eyes are usually for the plants, but I really like the rocks in the first picture. Do you put them in yourself? Is there some kind of hardscaping theme? I am considering some more rocks and less lawn in my yard...

Philosophical Karen said...

Wow, thanks for noticing, Gardenista. You might be interested in this historical post that describes how my garden evolved.

Robin's Nesting Place said...

I love rocks too. They really do add to the beauty of the garden.

LostRoses said...

I love your favorite spring bed too. The combination of the flowering bulbs, the new green leaves on the trees ... and the rocks are fabulous!

FO - 2 said...

Your spring garden bed is beautiful! (:
I will visit your blog again. (:
Inspirational.

By the way, i have been in Canada, I loved Vancouver! We sailed along the West coast also.
Beautiful landscape! Reminded me of Norway actually. Fjords and mountains.
And the people were so friendly!

Wishing you a great springtime and summer!

Best regards from Ida.