Monday, April 30, 2007

In the Garden

It was a good weekend for weather, so we managed to do a bit of tidying in the garden. Our autumn was so wet that a lot of the cleanup that I would normally do at that time just didn't get done.

We also had a lot of windy weather that blew all sorts of things into the garden, including shingles from the neighbour's shed. So there was lots to pick up. The first of the unwelcome jobs was taken care of, too. The lovely trumpet vine was cut back to the roots. It had to be done. The lattice needs to be replaced on the west side of the arbour bench. Here is a photo from better days:

We've Cut Back the Trumpet Vine

Too Many Trumpets

I can now safely say that a few plants didn't make it this year. The 'Ankums Pride' hardy geranium I transplanted last fall from another garden hasn't come back. I also lost a beautiful heuchera that I was hoping might return this spring. But things are coming back, too. My 'Doppelganger' echinacea is just starting to grow, and the columbine (Aquilegia canadensis) on the east fence is going strong, as is the Jacob's Ladder (Polemonium) I got from the same garden as the 'Ankums Pride'.

Of course only the bulbs are blooming, along with vinca and icicle pansies -- oh and, for the first time in my garden, the Pachysandra is flowering.

Pachysandra (Japanese Spurge)

Flowering Pachysandra

I am still trying to figure out all of my daffodils. I'm pretty sure the 'Rip Van Winkle' came up where I planted what were supposed to be masses of mixed pink daffodils. I guess that's the last time I ever buy a box of bulbs from a warehouse superstore. I should have known not to buy bulbs from the same store where people buy TV sets.

But I also have a lot of nice daffodils coming up now.

Daffodils Are Blooming

Small Cup Daffodils

Edgy

'Mount Hood' Daffodils

Yellow Trumpet
Photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without attribution.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I was surprised to hear that a lot of people around here lost heucheras, too--and not to any obvious sort of heaving out of the ground, as is usually the case. It's been a weird winter!

Your trumpet vine is beautiful, by the way. :)

Anonymous said...

i have quite a few things blooming, or close to blooming. i'll have to try and snap a few pics and send them to you so you can see what bailey protected.

Alison said...

Now that I am back, I'll have to take some pics of my rather slow progression in the garden. None of my daffodils are even close to blooming. Only the lungwort...