Monday, April 02, 2007

April Showers

“April showers bring May flowers.” Which sort of means I don’t have any outdoor photos to show you. I am getting actual flower buds on some of my daffodils, though, so I’m hoping it won’t be long before there is something worth seeing. The little honeysuckle I planted in front of the porch last year is getting some green buds, too.

Tomato Plants

Tomato Plants

For photos I will have to stick to my indoor garden. I’ve been concentrating the news on the daylilies recently, because there are always new sprouts to count. (Current number as of this morning is an even 50.)

Two Daylily Sprouts Among the Sunflowers

Two Daylily Sprouts Among the Sunflowers

However, my tomato plants are going strong, and the sunflowers are getting tall enough to topple over. The recycler in me has found a use for the wooden take-out chopsticks my husband and I would normally just throw away after using: they have become miniature plant stakes. They don't always work, but they help a bit.

Used Wooden Chopsticks Recycled as Plant Stakes

Stakes

The petunias have all sprouted, too, and will soon need thinning. The expensive ones that came in a plastic vial (similar to a perfume sample container) I placed painstakingly using the saucer and toothpick method.

Petunia Sprouts

Petunia Sprouts

But the cheap ones that came in a foil packet I sprinkled liberally over the top of the peat pellets, resulting in a miniature forest of petunia sprouts. Luckily these don’t need staking. I don’t think my husband and I can eat that much Chinese, Japanese, and Thai food in such a short time—though it might be fun to try.

Sunflowers and Petunias: The Big Picture

Sunflowers and Petunias

And finally, this is for Dana in New Mexico: the hesperaloe (Pink Texas Yucca) sprouts are healthy. They reached a height of about 3 inches (8 cm) and seemed to stop growing—at least compared to the rate of growth I see with the daylily sprouts, the earliest of which are about 8 inches (20 cm) tall now.

Hesperaloe (Pink Texas Yucca)

Hesperaloe Sprouts

And speaking of daylilies sprouting from seed...

Dana's second-year daylily seedlings (grown from seed I sent her in Fall 2005) were planted outdoors in Spring 2006. They have returned this year and are growing, but they seem to have turned yellow despite getting adequate water. I've said to check for insects (I've had problems with thrips before). Does anyone else have any ideas of what to look for with second-year daylily seedlings that have leaves turning yellow?

2 comments:

Kerri said...

Hello Karen,
You've had lots of success with your seeds germinating. It's exciting to see something growing!
I did some late winter sowing and am still waiting to see some sprouts but we haven't had much warm weather yet.
Isn't it wonderful to feel spring in the air?
It's been fun catching up with you.
Thanks for posting about the old-fashioned maple syrup production. I found it very interesting.
Happy spring to you!

Gardenista said...

Look at all those seedlings, and exotic ones too! I wonder if your plants are getting enough light though. The tomato plants in particular are pretty tall and look like they're searching for the sun. I find using a combo of grow lights and cool white lights grows sturdy, bushier plants. Just a thought...keep on the good work!