Sunday, April 01, 2007

Purple Flowers

Today is the day I said I would open this blog again officially. It turns out I have had a few posts in March, too, which I did not anticipate. We'll just call that my little "April Fools" joke.

Another thing I did not anticipate was that I would have some flowers in my garden to show you. It seems the purple ones are doing well, like these pretty pansies. These are what we call Icicle Pansies, meaning that you plant them in the fall and they will bloom until the ground freezes. Then, as soon as the ground thaws, they start blooming again. (I even had some flowers in January, since we had some warm weather at that time.)

Icicle Pansies

Purple Icicle Pansies

I also have some flowers coming up that I have never planted before. But last fall when I was buying my tulip and daffodil bulbs, I got a FREE package of purple crocuses. The funny thing about these is that the package called them "Ruby Giant". These are really the smallest crocuses I have ever seen! They are less than 5 cm (2 inches) tall.

My "Giant" Crocuses

Giant Crocuses

Lastly, there is some vinca blooming. Vinca has a few different names. It is also called periwinkle, and myrtle. There are different varieties. I also have some with white flowers. The leaves can be variegated as well.

Vinca (also Called "Periwinkle" or "Myrtle")

Vinca

It's a nice groundcover, but it spreads uncontrollably and does not always co-exist well with other plants. For example, my daylilies that have been surrounded by vinca end up not blooming. So I am really of two minds about it. Sometimes I like it and sometimes I want to rip it all out. I'm sure most gardeners have a plant like that in their garden at some time, whether it's vinca or something else.

Oh, and by the way, I now have 46 viable daylily sprouts and my mother is very pleased that I will be planting some in her back yard.

7 comments:

Jen said...

Still nothing up here. Lots of rain though so hopefully soon.

Alison said...

Welcome back officially! New growth is so very exciting!!!! My eranthus is blooming...but that's it so far. My daylily final count is 20... I'm assuming no more will come now.

ABQ Mom said...

Your crocus look the same as what we have. Tiny, only about 2 inches tall. We have them scattered through our front lawn, so even though the grass isn't green yet there is still some color. They're done now, all that's left is the green leaves.

LostRoses said...

Perhaps the "giant" crocus is an April Fool's joke! The vinca is in full bloom here too, and also taking over where I don't want it to.

Unknown said...

Welcome back! And congrats on the daylilies. :)

Anonymous said...

welcome (officially) back! i have some stuff coming up in my garden, i actually took pics last week with thoughts of doing a blog but never got around to it. one of mine is a complete surprise.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your beautiful photo of the icycle pansies! They are an inspiration for a painting. Well done.