Tuesday, July 31, 2007

High Bud Count, Etc.

When I was at the daylily gardens, I was trying to tell the owner what it was I liked, which sort of flowers caught my eye. I stuttered something like "dark purples" and mentioned my latest bloomer at the time, which was 'Grand Masterpiece'. But then Betty said, "I bet you didn't get too many flowers from it though, did you?"

And she's right, I guess. Bud count is not one of the things I consider when I choose a daylily. I do have some daylilies that are solid performers in that regard, but to tell you the truth, most of them are not my favourites.

Although I do like 'Cricket Dance'.

'Cricket Dance' Has a High Bud Count

Cricket Dance (High Bud Count)

The problem with high bud count is that it results in high spent bloom count, too. Very messy plants. Especially if the flowers are large and fleshy, you can get ugly results. 'Daring Deception' is a case in point.

'Daring Deception' Has a High Bud Count


Daring Deception (High Bud Count)

Note that the two flowers down in front are 'Sabine Baur'.

As far as I know, the Siloams usually have a high bud count. For example, 'Siloam Merle Kent', 'Siloam Doodlebug', 'Siloam Plum Tree' are ones that I have. 'Siloam Merle Kent' is my most well-established of the three.

Siloam Merle Kent Has a High Bud Count

Siloam Merle Kent (High Bud Count)

But look at how the spent blooms make the plant look messy, and interfere with the current blooms. Sometimes the buds negatively affect the blooms, too. And deadheading becomes harder when you are working around buds and current blooms, hoping not to dislodge any with an extra enthusiastic snap or tug. So really, I am not especially a fan of high bud count. I see as many problems as advantages.

New Plants and First Blooms

These are my new plants and first blooms today.

All American Baby (New)

'All American Baby'

Bela Lugosi (New)

'Bela Lugosi'

In the photo above, try to ignore the blemishes and picture it as a uniform purple. It's a new purchase and this is the only bud I got with the plant.

Smith Brothers (New)

'Smith Brothers'

Can you see how similar 'Smith Brothers' is to 'Root Beer'? Only the ruffles and the greenish tinge to the throat make it look different.

'My Hope' First Bloom Today

'My Hope' First Bloom 31/07/07
Photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without permission.

Executive Decision

I've been in touch with Betty about "Apollo's Chariot" -- my daylily that didn't look like it was supposed to -- and she's offered (in an executive decision) to exchange it for an "Executive Decision". One that is much more expensive. I feel bad.

So tomorrow we are going to pay Betty a visit and return the current plant for a new one.

4 comments:

FO - 2 said...

I love all of them! (:
The colours and the variety.
Remove the spent blooms with caution.... ;)
Have a nice trip to Betty! :)

Sigrun said...

Schöööön! Alle sind sie wunderschön! Bela Lugosi habe ich auch. Wir könnten tauschen - wenn es nicht so weit wäre.

Sigrun

Whyite said...

Never thought about spent blooms, but they can make the plants look messy. I am just wanting some day lilies. Messy or not. I have none at this moment.

O.I.M said...

I am always stunned to visit your blog and find more daylilies....wow...they are lovely. I've got some run-of-the-mill orange daylilies in my yard. they bloom like crazy and I find it very relaxing to deadhead at the end of the day. I've lost a few buds on occasion but have gotten better at steering clear of them. Daylilies are great....it's easy to understand why you're such a fan.
Cheers.
Irena