Sunday, July 15, 2007

The Middle of July... Already?

Well, there's been so many daylilies on this blog lately that I thought I'd add something more this time around. I briefly considered doing a Garden Blogger's Bloom Day post, but most of my blooms are daylilies anyway, with the exception of some hostas, heucheras, a lone scabiosa flower, two of my hardy geraniums ('Roxanne' and 'Hokus Pokus'), 'Tequila Sunrise' coreopsis, various echinacea ('White Swan' and 'Kim's Knee High', with buds on 'Magnus' and 'Ruby Star'), one rudbeckia bud, and that's about it. Oh, and the asiatic lily my mother gave me as a gift last year.

Pink Asiatic Lily (Gift from Mom)

Asiatic Lilies

As far as the daylilies are concerned, there were only two new first blooms today. One of them was 'Razzamatazz'.

Razzamatazz

'Razzamatazz' First Bloom 15/07/07

The other was 'Canadian Border Patrol'. When I purchased this plant last year, I purposely chose one that was a delicate pink with a dark pink eyezone. Unfortunately, it didn't grow with those colours this year, so it actually looks identical to 'Moonlit Masquerade'.

'Canadian Border Patrol' 2007

'Canadian Border Patrol' First Bloom 15/07/07

Flower Purchased 15/07/06 (Same Plant as Above)

'Canadian Border Patrol' 2006

Finally, we had a visitor to our garden today. We are not surprised anymore by our various visitors. We've had a family of skunks, a jackrabbit, frogs who rest in daylily flowers, nesting mourning doves, and lately some cute (but annoying) chipmunks have taken up residence. However, today was our first visit from a turtle.

Turtle Visitor to Our Yard

Turtle
Photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without permission.

I was not aware that turtles had such nasty claws, until I saw this one up close.

3 comments:

Gardenista said...

My goodness! That's not a turtle, it's a nasty-clawed alien! I had no idea about these either. Otherwise, it looks nice enough, like those ones kids keep in aquariums.

Unknown said...

Oooh... I think he's cute. Doesn't look too happy, though--guess he must not appreciate the garden beauty that surrounds him.

Kerri said...

You caught the turtle at a good angle to show us his claws. Looks like he's frowning at you :)
Strange how the lilies change color.
That's a pretty pink asiatic.