Paperbark Maple with Fancy Branch-Pusher-Outer
Mr. Wonderful noticed that a couple of the branches were bending the wrong way (towards the tree instead of away from it) so he invented a new use for those plastic label holders that come on some plant pots.
In the process of planting this tree, it became clear that the daylily 'Always Afternoon' was going to get in the way of digging the hole. Since I've talked about moving it for ages, I actually did it this time. When the plant was dug up it would barely fit in a 14-inch (35 cm) pot, so I ended up dividing the plant into three (since it had three scapes). I even threw away a fan that had no scape, just to give the others more roots to work with.
'Always Afternoon' Divided

In the spot vacated by 'Always Afternoon', I planted one of my new daylilies. (Oh yes, I forgot to mention that while we were at the nursery I got two new daylilies -- you may roll your eyes now). It was 'Blueberry Candy'. No doubt I will post pictures of my own soon, since it looks about ready to bloom.
The second new plant I got was 'All American Plum'. It looks like it has some of the same lineage as 'Siloam Plum Tree', only the flowers are quite a bit larger. Here is a nice example of 'Siloam Plum Tree', which gave me two blooms today.
Siloam Plum Tree

Here is a photo that I have absolutely no reason to show you except that I like the way it turned out.
Geraniums On My Front Step

And finally, let me finish with a picture of my favourite watering can. You can tell it's my favourite, or it would have been thrown out by now. Instead, it has been repaired with duct tape -- oh, and a hammer. After last winter, it would not sit flat because ice had popped the bottom outwards. I hammered it back in. The bottom is still not flat, but now it is convex when you look inside instead of concave, so the can will rest flat now. Mission accomplished.
My Favourite Watering Can

Photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without permission.
9 comments:
I love in southwestern Ontario also, could you let me know the name of the nursery that had the sale on this tree...I would like to get one also...Thanks.
Jeremy, I have mentioned this nursery before. It is Terra Greenhouses. (www.terragreenhouses.com) There are several locations. If you are travelling any distance, I would phone ahead to check if they have what you want in stock.
I can see why you love the geranium photo. It's gorgeous! Karen, your daylilies are superb! I adore that Barbara Mitchell, and I understand why Rasberry Swirl is one of your favorites. Absolutely wonderful!
That's a good deal on the tree. 60% off is always welcome!
You've been busy!
Thanks.
You gotta love old things that are fixed up and worn a bit. But they work. Hope you are taking it easy today!
I cringe at throwing away any part of a daylily. I always have to give even the smallest fan to one of my daughters. But I do understand why you did it.
Marie, there was barely any root attached to that fan (and it was a big fan). If I'd honestly thought it had a chance of surviving, I would have kept it.
argh!
I was sure I left a comment.
Today, of course, I have no idea what I wanted to say.
I guess just, "hi" I'm reading.
Just discovered your blog today, thanks to a link from Colors of the Garden. Beautiful photos! Beautiful garden. And I think the geranium photo is my favorite of all the great ones here!
Post a Comment