If you look a daylily up on, say, the Dave's Garden web site, it will identify whether the daylily is diploid or tetraploid in its genetics. I never paid much attention to this, until I started realizing that an awful lot of my non-bloomers are diploid. I remember a post where I talked about reading on a daylily forum that someone said they would only plant tetraploid daylilies in their garden. It seemed highly snobbish at the time. However, if it turns out that I'm right about my non-blooming daylilies, I may end up becoming that type of a "snob" myself!
Moving on now, there were four new daylily blooms today. Highland Lord decided to make an appearance. Unfortunately, he is a bit blemished, and therefore not himself today. He couldn't muster the energy to produce a double flower, so his first bloom is just a single.
Highland Lord

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
Daveo Holman on the other hand is looking quite a bit healthier this year after I divided him last year. He has two new blooms today, but I'll only be showing this one.
Daveo Holman

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
Unlike yesterday's Luxury Lace, I actually don't mind the streaky appearance. The large size and bright pink of this flower make it interesting.
Delicate little Pandora's Box also makes a first appearance today. She is not a miniature, but her smallish flowers are recurved (curled backwards) in such a way that the flower looks even smaller than it is.
Pandora's Box

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
The final new bloom today was Blueberry Candy. It has given a nice show today, unlike last year. Of course, it's also blooming a full week later than last year.
Blueberry Candy

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved
...
Copyright © all rights reserved. All text and images in this post belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com.
No comments:
Post a Comment