Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Dreaded Deadheading

At this point in the summer, the midseason daylilies are slowing down, and the late season bloomers are not yet coming into play. I am talking only of first blooms, of course. Collectively, the daylily plants in my garden are blooming their hearts out.

Wayside King Royale Has Four Blooms Today

Wayside King Royale
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

With all those flowers, it soon becomes very important for the beauty of the garden to make sure the spent blooms are removed. This is called deadheading. Deadheading is a sticky, messy job, especially with the record-breaking rainfall we've had this summer. Even in a dry year, spent blooms can be gooey, but this year picking off the day-old flowers is slimy business. Every last one is waterlogged. Ugh!

(Note: I have previously written about deadheading here and here. You can see how things change over the years.)

Daylilies Need Deadheading

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Squishy, Gooey, Spent Daylily Blooms

Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Yesterday we had another big storm (sadly, they are all too common this summer) with buckets of rain and hail and other silly stuff coming out of nowhere and dumping on us. I'm surprised the flowers survived as well as they did. Here are a couple of new blooms today.

Mariska

Mariska First Blooms 23/07/08
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

Joan Senior

Joan Senior First Bloom 23/07/08
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

I'm not sure what to say about Peach Magnolia. I think it's trying to bloom, but I'm having trouble figuring out what to call this. It's past being a bud, but do I count it as a first bloom or not?

Peach Magnolia

Peach Magnolia First Bloom(?) 23/07/08
Philosophical Karen © all rights reserved

We're in for another storm this afternoon, so I don't know how it will fare. I hope it survives the rain and actually opens up later.
...
Copyright © all rights reserved. All text and images in this post belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com.

3 comments:

O.I.M said...

I'm not sure what to make of the peach magnolia either.... your blooms are beautiful as usual. I have to admit that deadheading day lilies is one of my guilty pleasures. for weeks on end it gives me an excuse to disappear into the yard for just a "few" minutes each night. and unlike tidying up around the house, i feel that deadheading is something that just can't wait...so that section of the garden always looks neat (unlike the house ;).
cheers
irena

Anonymous said...

i love that delicate colour of the peach one, or as my husband would comment, the plum one!
we just had another huge storm here as well, i don't even know how it's possible to have this much rain. it's not a record i was hoping to break this summer.

kate said...

i need to deadhead too, but i don't seem to have the patience for it this year. I do one or two plants & that's it....

I very much like your picture of the spent blooms!