Today's show is a Shakespearean play. The play always starts with odd characters. Like an ugly witch making a prophecy, Destined to See has bloomed somewhat deformed today.
'Destined to See' (Somewhat Deformed First Bloom)

But this witch has a secret. Sometimes she's a real beauty, as in this photo of her first bloom in 2006.
'Destined to See', First Bloom 2006

And another odd character makes an appearance here, a dwarf, called Mini Might. This one is a miniature double -- doubly odd in daylily terms. For this first flower, the full double presentation didn't appear, just an additional curly petal tucked inside of the flower.
'Mini Might' Miniature Double Daylily

And now it's Always Afternoon, a nice pink pink without any peach tones to it, a burgundy eye, yellow-green throat, and just a hint of a white midrib. This early bloomer is actually showing up a few days late this year. The other characters are teasing this one for sleeping in.
'Always Afternoon'

Wayside King Royale has lost his twin (twins are a very common theme in this type of play). I have one in the front garden and one in the back. In the past, they have bloomed together. This year, the one in the back has entered the scene first, wondering what happened to its counterpart.
'Wayside King Royale'

Elegant Candy is kind of a flirt. She flaunts her ruffles a bit to let us know she is the Shakespearean equivalent of a "dumb blonde" character. (Hey, I didn't make up the stereotype, I'm just using it as a metaphor.)
'Elegant Candy'

Justin Miller is new in town. (He would probably welcome some attention from Candy, if he could just meet up with her somehow.) He doesn't even know where he's going to live yet, as he currently resides in a temporary location on top of the deck box. That doesn't stop him from demonstrating his good breeding, however.
'Justin Miller'

Photos belong to kbgardenblog.blogspot.com and may not be used without permission.
Well, I guess that was less of a play than a parade of characters. This extended metaphor thing is a little difficult to get exactly right. We'll see how far it takes us, though.
3 comments:
Loved it!!!
Beautiful!! I love Justin that is a beauty!! I really need more daylillies!!!
Destined to See is a knockout. I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets a deformed bloom every now and then. I decided I really shouldn't take a picture of the first bloom, because it's often not the best. But I do anyway because I'm so excited to see it.
I thought I had Always Afternoon for a long time and then it turned out to be a Farmer's Daughter. A mismark at the Greenhouse, I guess. I'm still hoping to buy A.A. someday soon.
Post a Comment